Does diving while on period attract sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Z

Thanks for the links to the videos. Don't think the mythbusters "test" proves much about shark attraction to mammalian blood; they don't test attraction, only reaction, and only on a single species of (mostly piscivorous) shark, and only on (presumably well fed) babies, which often have different diets from adults.

The other two videos are more interesting and illustrate that it is a difficult question to test. But I think they do provide evidence that some sharks have some attraction to mammalian blood, but that more sharks have a stronger attraction to fish blood. But I won't try to draw conclusions about what this means for the original question.

Would be interesting though to see if different species of sharks reacted differently, e.g. if great whites or oceanic white tips had a stronger reaction to mammalian blood.

I wish it did!
LOL. Thought you were a serious misogynist when I first read this – then I decided I needed to check your bio.:wink:

Reactions: OTF
they do provide evidence that some sharks have some attraction to mammalian blood,
Some sharks feed upon mammals (sea lions, etc.). No sharks feed regularly on humans.

If they did, there would be no such thing as recreational use of the ocean. We'd be sitting ducks.
If anemone clownfish were the size of a triggerfish, then there would be no such a thing as recreational uae of the ocean, we'd be all shitting in our wetsuits 😅

Sharks, as it happens, "eat" a few humans every year. Humans eat millions of sharks annually. If I were a shark and saw a human- I'd run for my life 😓

The only animal on the planet that actively hunts humans is the polar bear.

-Z

Last year my dive buddy had an active nose bleed during the dive. For 15 minutes, the 5 Caribbean Reef sharks swimming with our group of 7 divers tended to avoid us, and were much more curious about the rest of the group. This past Saturday I got tossed on the coral doing a shore entry, ripped up the front of my shin and didn't notice it, neither did the sharks I came across under Fredricksted pier.

The only animal on the planet that actively hunts humans is OTHER HUMANS.

-Z

FTFY 😊

• Brilliant!
Reactions: Zef
Some sharks feed upon mammals (sea lions, etc.). No sharks feed regularly on humans.
According to one of the videos, sharks can't or don't distinguish between types of mammalian blood. One of the videos also showed them lining up behind a steady drip of cow's blood – and I kind of suspect few sharks regularly feed on them either. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom