Does human touch harm Octopi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem I see with most creatures is that the interaction with you may not harm them, but it may lead to their harm indirectly.

I grew up around in Montana. Lots of bears around where I was raised. Often people, mostly those not familiar with them, feed them. It's surely good intentioned, but generally it leads to the bears becoming more comfortable around humans as well as seeing them as a food source. Unfortunately this very often leads to the bears death. One summer the FWP trapped 2 (one in our back yard) and killed 1 more near my parents house because an out of stater had rented a home nearby for the summer and thought feeding the bears was being nice. (and by trap I mean cage, not foot trap, so they could release them a hundred miles away)

While I agree that petting a 10' shark isn't harming it, the shark may even like it (at bonneville sea base they have nurse sharks that like to be petted because they like the warmth) but if they end up losing fear of humans and swim up to another diver who doesn't act similarly, or then begin to go near swimmers, it may end in the death of the shark.

I'm not sure if a similar situation would occur with octopus, but I guess my point is that not every diver is as friendly as you and socializing with creatures may unintentionally lead to their harm even if they participate and you don't cause any harm directly.

In retrospect, I suppose a better question would be "Does human interaction benefit the animal?" And if the answer is no, proceed accordingly.

Actually it goes farther than that. Human interaction not only doesn't benefit the animal, it doesn't benefit pretty much anything it comes in contact with, from walking to going into space.

If you want to avoid the consequences of your interaction I suggest stop diving.

I only "grab" the octopus I'm planing to eat but I play with just about anyone that extends a tentacle when I put my fingers in front of.

Do the same with flounder, when I'm not in the mood of cleaning and cooking them, I use a long stick to scratch their underside, I consider that as much of a challenge for me as the pleasure it appears to provide to the fish, you need to be very very smooth in your movements. Like caressing jewfish without them booming.

if you feel the need to touch please do so with a speargun

In retrospect, I suppose a better question would be "Does human interaction benefit the animal?" And if the answer is no, proceed accordingly.

I dive in three different areas; boat diving Molokini, boat diving Lanai and sites that are accessible from the Maui shore.

Molokini is a protected reserve; I do not touching any living things, but IMHO live things are free to make a choice to touch me.

Lanai boat dive sites are not protected, but are also not hunted often; I may gently put my hand in the same hole as an octopus and if my guests can follow directions, we might see the octopus swim to a different hiding spot.

Maui shore sites are mostly open season for hunters, and after work there are many hunters; I regularly "harass" octopi, often with guests watching, because I believe the octopus needs to hide better from humans.

My briefings / debriefings spell out some details. :idk:

As far as touching an octopus goes, my guess, and it's just a guess, is that no real harm is done if you gently touch it or let it touch you.

As far as overall touching of living things under the sea, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not forced or you aren't harassing it. When we were in Little Cayman last May we had some groupers follow us around on a dive like little puppys. You could easily pet or stroke them. At any time they could swim away but they just keep following you around.

I was recently on some vacation dives at a location where the DMs and instructors seemed to routinely catch Octopi so that people could interact up close and personal with them.

The only place I've been where this seems to be "routine" is in Maui. I once saw a DM tip over a coral head ... destroying probably 100 years worth of coral growth ... so as to catch a fist-sized octopus for about 5 seconds worth of "interaction" with a client. The octopus inked, the kid let go, and it was over.

Stoopid ...

I'd like to see those DM's "catch" one of these ... they'd be down there until *it* decided to let them go ...

IMG_0023.jpg

Generally speaking, if you're going to interact with wild animals ... and I do routinely ... you need to do it on their terms. That means no grabbing, holding, detaining, or anything that makes the animal feel threatened. Octopus are intelligent creatures, and have "personalities" ... some seem curious and initiate interaction with divers. Others prefer to be left alone ... and will shy away from divers. You need to base your interaction on how the animal responds ... and if it seems to not want your attention, leave it alone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As far as touching an octopus goes, my guess, and it's just a guess, is that no real harm is done if you gently touch it or let it touch you.
Generally speaking, I think it's pretty difficult to harm an octopus by handling it. Think about the holes these critters squeeze into, scraping themselves against rocks, coral heads, broken bottles, etc ... if they can fit their beak through an opening, they'll squeeze their entire bodies in there. I think overall they're pretty abrasion-resistant.

As far as overall touching of living things under the sea, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not forced or you aren't harassing it. When we were in Little Cayman last May we had some groupers follow us around on a dive like little puppys. You could easily pet or stroke them. At any time they could swim away but they just keep following you around.
Big critters often like divers ... particularly at night. They seem to enjoy dining by dive light. We get that locally with the harbor seals ... and in Bonaire, the tarpon and groupers just won't leave you alone ... even when you want them to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and in Bonaire, the tarpon and groupers just won't leave you alone ... even when you want them to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ain't that the truth! I've had many a night dive in Bonaire where the big tarpon just follow you around, staying off to the side a little, and when your dive light hits that unlucky little guy, WHAM! And off goes the tarpon smacking his lips.

Hmmm, well, if we approve hunting a particular critter, it's hard to object to touching it gently, or even gently picking it up. I mean, torturing the poor beastie is one thing, but it seems hypocritical to be willing to eat an animal then turn one's nose up at something that might merely annoy it a little. Vegetarians get a pass, of course.

Back
Top Bottom