• Makes me less tired than air.

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Makes me more energetic than air.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Makes me feel worse than air.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:pity_part:shakehead
Charlie59:
As a result of this thread I refuse to use nitrox when diving in Maui later this month. Actually, Ed Robinson's doesn't offer it. I guess I'll just have to suffer and feel all tired and barely have a good time, dang.
:(

I'll be diving nitrox tomorrow, and probably on Saturday and Sunday as well...

After 40 posts I see no mention of
fisherdvm:
She insisted that it makes her feel less tired, and it has more beneficial effect than just preventing DCS
My understanding is Nitrox does not prevent DCS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok, I’ll admit I haven’t read this whole thing, 40 posts were enough.

But you feel sooooo much better when bent on nitrox!

Many times after diving, I feel like someone beat me with a bag of potatoes. I just ache here and there. I never get that feeling on nitrox. I like the stuff.

Statistically speaking, nitrox does and does not do a lot of things. But on an individual basis, statistics are meaningless.

For instance, the chance of getting killed by an asteroid is vanishingly small. But if you are the person who is killed by an asteroid, that statistic is meaningless.

Now I am extremely cynical and belive that the placebo effect accounts for 90% of everything. But if we consult the dictionary:

Sometimes known as non-specific effects or subject-expectancy effects, a so-called placebo effect occurs when a patient's symptoms are altered in some way (i.e., alleviated or exacerbated) by an otherwise inert treatment, due to the individual expecting or believing that it will work.

If you are not expecting a response then it cannot be considered a placebo response.

I dove nitrox daily for 2 weeks in order to get enough nitrox dives under my belt to take an advanced nitrox course. I wasn't expecting any advantages, I was just doing it to get the dives in my log book.

I noticed that I was able to dive 4 times a day without the exhaustion that I noticed on other dive trips that limited me to 2 or 3 dives per day. Screw the statistics, I'm hooked on nitrox.

Ha, ha, ha... just to show how easy it is to manipulate this survey, I have now made my vote doubled by getting a new username, FisherMD.... Anyone can do it... Just get a new free email address from yahoo, and then you can double or triple your vote.

fisherdvm:
Ha, ha, ha... just to show how easy it is to manipulate this survey, I have now made my vote doubled by getting a new username, FisherMD.... Anyone can do it... Just get a new free email address from yahoo, and then you can double or triple your vote.
I wouldn't admit that you have a sock puppet... It's not encouraged by Moderators. :no

Seriously, this survey might indicate a possibility that fatigue among divers responsive to nitrox might indicate subclinical DCS.

This subclinical state means that the symptoms might not be sufficient to make a diagnosis of DCS.

What it might also mean that our current dive tables perhaps need to be modified to reflect the diving populations.

Perhaps studies need to be done to target specific sex, age, and medical condition.

Likely this will never be done, but it is interesting to look at.

Back
Top Bottom