• Makes me less tired than air.

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Makes me more energetic than air.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Makes me feel worse than air.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or - it means that nitrox DOES makes people FEEL better (either in reality [clinically], or because of the placebo effect) than air. Increased O2 could have a similar effect to what it does to people who breathe Oxygen when at higher altitudes...

fisherdvm:
Ha, ha, ha... just to show how easy it is to manipulate this survey, I have now made my vote doubled by getting a new username, FisherMD.... Anyone can do it... Just get a new free email address from yahoo, and then you can double or triple your vote.
:no More than one persona is a big no no fisher.

WVDiver:
:no More than one persona is a big no no fisher.

I see what you mean, they've deleted my twin brother, FisherMD.....

I was just trying to prove a point, anyone can manipulate this survey, but likely, the survey reflects the user of scubaboard.

The next time I am trying to manipulate a survey, I wouldn't admit it, he, he, he...

fisherdvm:
I was just trying to prove a point, anyone can manipulate this survey, but likely, the survey reflects the user of scubaboard....

You proved that you cannot manipulate the survey, since they found and deleted your sock puppet :D

fisherdvm:
The next time I am trying to manipulate a survey, I wouldn't admit it, he, he, he...

Oh but they would know. Believe me they would. They know everything. :11:

howarde:
Increased O2 could have a similar effect to what it does to people who breathe Oxygen when at higher altitudes...

I think it is more complicated than the situation at higher altitudes where the oxygen concentration is only 3 or 4%, and folks dies from hypoxia.

On medline, they have looked at effect on immune cells, and other cellular processes. I think the answer might lie in subclinical DCS or some other biochemical processes, perhaps brain neurotransmitter or receptors.

I do not believe that anyone has died from Hypoxia in Breckenridge (9,600 ft) - but people sure do buy a lot of Oxygen, and you don't need a prescription for it either.

When I climbed mount Rainier, at base camp (10000'), I felt the lack of oxygen effect. But It could have been a placebo effect :wink::D

But living all the time at low altitude makes me a LAW :)

If Oxygen can revitalize people on land, why can't increased O2 levels have a similar effect, even if there is only 10-20% more O2 than in regular air? Especially when at higher PPO2?

While I respect the opinions of all SBer's and defend their right to have it, I do not agree with this survey's results because I have not experienced this for myself. I am sure that there are many folks here that have more nitrox dives than I have and I am open minded enough that I can change my opinion should I ever find myself "feeling" better after diving nitrox, regardless of what some study or survey might show in its data.

So for me it boils down to, if it makes you feel better do it. If it makes you more comfortable (feel better) in or out of the water while doing certain dives it must be important. If it costs you a little more so what, people spend more money everyday on things just for the comfort factor. Regulators are a good example. I myself spent a little more on my last system just because I felt better about what I thought would be a better performing and safer way to go. When in reality there was probably no "real" difference.

This SB survey says to me that I was obviously mistaken about how the "voodoo" gas is perceived by most individuals. I would never have guessed that there where so many people that believed it made them feel better.

Whether it can ever be resolved scientifically is yet to be seen and I am not sure it matters. The overwhelming fact is that you will do what makes you comfortable regardless of what anyone may tell you. At least I would hope this would be the case. We are not sheep.

I dive nitrox strictly based on profiles, multiple days, multiple dives, SI time, NDL etc. not because I think I will feel better at the end of the day or week. However if I ever decide for myself that there is a "feel good" factor involved than I will embrace it. I see a revitalizing effect or "feel good" advantage as icing on the cake at this point.

Being a biologist I can certainly see the argument and it does seem to make sense from a physiological aspect that the added 02 could and perhaps should make us feel better. I just have not found this to be the case in my personal experience. And I have seen many a seemingly solid hypothesis go by the wayside over the years.

howarde:
I ALWAYS read every thread completely before I post too :rofl3:

I thought you did...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom