Does Oxycheq Single wing need a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cast

Registered
Reaction score
Why? I found that wing has 4 holes that allow the tank band to rig through. What if the BP has those hole as well, do I really need a STA? Anybody has tried the wing without a STA? How does it feel? Thanks.

cast once bubbled...
Why? I found that wing has 4 holes that allow the tank band to rig through. What if the BP has those hole as well, do I really need a STA? Anybody has tried the wing without a STA? How does it feel? Thanks.

It has to have the STA to keep the tank centered on the spine of the BP. Without the STA the tank could roll to one side or twist on the BP. The newer style halcyon wings have two rods sewed in the wing which keeps everything centered without the use of a external STA.

I tried it with the 45# oxycheq. Did a series of pool test dives and a dive trip this past weekend that included 4 dives. Oxycheq wing is A-okay without an STA. I tried to rotate the plate relative to the tank with two hands -- not gonna happen.

cast once bubbled...

I know some people do not use a STA for their plates, and also the Oxycheq wing has the strap holes, so you can use it on the Dive Rite Transpac II Harness. Pretty neat huh?

Just goes to show you how much thought was put into these wings that they are so modular they will work with any backplate or with Dive Rites extremely popular Transpac Harness.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom