Does PADI frown on BP/W over "regular" bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ask this because I am interested in getting certified in the spring, and after doing a ton of research, I have come to the conclusion that a BP/W makes more sense. It just looks more comfortable than being wrapped up in a blanket of a jacket style BC. I also like the portability of it over the bulky Jacket styles...

I have spoken to several places here locally that do classes and certifications, and when asking about gear, I bring up a BP/W and every time I have been told that they either don't carry them, or don't recommend them for those new to diving, because of their "complexity." I was shocked, because as far as I can tell, they look a hell of a lot more simple than having all that unnecessary material wrapped around you...

So any divers out there start on a BP/W over a jacket style? Any cert. agencies that this is more in tune with??

thanks,

MN_Diver.

They don't float as well on the surface as do jacket types. I have a jacket type, but if I get back into diving, I will seriously contemplate a BP/W. Seems much more sleek and streamlined.

Edit: On reading the rest of the thread, I may think about a back inflate jacket type.

I think the more important point that should be made here is whether or not you should be buying a BP/W (or any BC for that matter) before you're even certified. That's a lot of coin to drop before you even know if you're going to like it.

The counter argument is that the best training would involve using the same equipment you plan to use in the future.

Some dive shops are very touchy about OW students using anything other than their gear for the class. I've heard stories of OW students showing up with their own mask/fins/snorkle and being charged a $75-100 "inspection fee" because the dive shop was "worried about the safety" of this gear. How about that one!

At that point, I would find another shop. That's just predatory.

I don't think PADI has a rule about it, but I do know why lots of instructors like the jacket style BC for OW training. The jackets are as much life preservers as they are dive gear; they keep people upright on the surface and heads/shoulders well out of the water. This is convenient for a group of non-divers in the water getting used to the idea of wearing heavy dive gear. Since you've had some experience diving and are comfortable in the water, a reasonable instructor should let you use the BP/W, especially if he's seen you in the pool with it an there are no issues.

When I took rescue class in my BP/W, I did wish I had a quick release for some of the exercises, particularly ditching gear while towing/rescue breathing. If I ever actually end up working as a DM, I'll probably put a single quick release in the harness.

I have a jacket type, but if I get back into diving, I will seriously contemplate a BP/W. Seems much more sleek and streamlined.

It would appear from your statements above that you have not used a BP&W.

They don't float as well on the surface as do jacket types.

If your experience to date has been limited to jacket BCs, on what do you base your opinion?

Tobin

I just did my confined water dives this weekend and used a back inflated BCD. My instructor used his jacket style. At the end of the day he let me try his on to see which I liked more. I would choice the back inflated cause you do not get the pressure on your ribs when inflating. I had heard about being pitched face forward in the water with a back inflated BCD. When I asked my instructor about it he said if you take the time to adjust your weights and use the trim pockets then there is no problem with being pitched forward. Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom