Does PADI frown on BP/W over "regular" bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
I ask this because I am interested in getting certified in the spring, and after doing a ton of research, I have come to the conclusion that a BP/W makes more sense. It just looks more comfortable than being wrapped up in a blanket of a jacket style BC. I also like the portability of it over the bulky Jacket styles...

I have spoken to several places here locally that do classes and certifications, and when asking about gear, I bring up a BP/W and every time I have been told that they either don't carry them, or don't recommend them for those new to diving, because of their "complexity." I was shocked, because as far as I can tell, they look a hell of a lot more simple than having all that unnecessary material wrapped around you...

So any divers out there start on a BP/W over a jacket style? Any cert. agencies that this is more in tune with??

thanks,

MN_Diver.

Talk to the instructor. He/she shoud be able to provide you with thier requirements. Some instructors frown on BPs but others embrace them. Talk to them before signing up.

They probably feel that you are heading for the Technical side of diving, and are trying to get you to slow down. Many times people new to diving want to jump right in and don't understand the experience that is needed for technical diving. Now, it sounds that this is not the case for you, but mention to the shop that you feel you would be more comfortable in the BP/W. And before you buy anything, try their rental gear and see if you still think it's bulky and unnecessary.

After 2 Discovery Scuba classes in a vest style BC I decided to give the BP/W a shot during my OW training. I found a shop that would train me in a BP/W, not just let me use it, but teach me to use it. I was very happy in the BP/W and very happy when my PADI instructor showed up for our first pool session in a BP/W! I love my BP/W and will never go back to a vest again.

Call up Jim and Claudia at MDC Sports in Rochester. They are a Padi dive shop and they love the bp/w and they also carry them. As far as ow classes, they have them on the weekends. I can pm their number to you if you would like.

I got OW certed in a jacket BC and the rest of the recreational gear.

For my AOW course I was the only diver with a bp/w, drysuit, 7' hose and jet fins. My instructor had no problems, although I had to explain to him that trauma shears were in fact a replacement for a knife and that they are made by Dive Rite for god's sake. I guess he just couldn't handle the fact that I didn't have a 20 inch blade strapped to my leg like a real man :rofl:

the lds that me and my wife learned to dive used a bp/w. i didn't know what a bp/w was until i got to this board. all i knew then was that the BC we got certified in was used by technical divers. it was very comfortable to use. i have tried the jacket BC during an intro dive and the difference that i can recall is that you can feel the jacket filling with air.

I think the more important point that should be made here is whether or not you should be buying a BP/W (or any BC for that matter) before you're even certified. That's a lot of coin to drop before you even know if you're going to like it.

PADI Standards require a "Buoyancy Compensator" they don't go any further than that. Last time I checked a BP/W was considered a "Buoyancy Compensator". If someone is saying you can't use a BP/W because of PADI ask top see the standard in writing.

DM

wow, thanks for all the replies everyone.

To clear some things up -
I have done a discover SCUBA course and one of those resort courses with two dives, and am planing to go again in a couple of weeks when on vacation. I want to get certified so that next time I can actually dive, and not just do these resort courses...

I dont plan on buying all the kit just yet, but I want to find a place that is BP/W friendly, as I feel thats what would work best for me... I like the simplicity and cleanliness of the set up.

I Looked at MDC sports after coming across a link off a DIR website... I will check them out.

No one told me I cant or that PADI won't let me, they just didn't seem too fond of the idea....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom