Does PADI frown on BP/W over "regular" bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW instructor used a back-inflate BC for the pool dives and his BP/W for our ocean dives.

Can't imagine he'd have a problem with a student in a BP/W (unless it was a nicer rig and then he'd be jealous).

Perhaps the dive shops don't want you getting a BP/wing so they can sell you the BC that they provide...

Most dive shops sell bp/w rigs as well, which normally cost more than an entry level poodle jacket.

I use a BP/W For all of my diving and training.

If students approch me on the Subject I get them the chance to try both and Buy what THEY like.

I have no problem and niether do any of my Instructor friends with training a student in a BP/W.

I see no reason why they the student should not learn in what the intend to use and or have bought.

My LDS that I teach for uses nothing but back inflate BC'S in the pool anyhow and sells all of the above!!

Buy the gear you want and learn to use your gear my friend.

It should not in anyway matter to the instructor, You are the one that has to learn to and master your skills in your equipment!!

PADI Doesent care either way.

wow, thanks for all the replies everyone.

To clear some things up -
I have done a discover SCUBA course and one of those resort courses with two dives, and am planing to go again in a couple of weeks when on vacation. I want to get certified so that next time I can actually dive, and not just do these resort courses...

I dont plan on buying all the kit just yet, but I want to find a place that is BP/W friendly, as I feel thats what would work best for me... I like the simplicity and cleanliness of the set up.

I Looked at MDC sports after coming across a link off a DIR website... I will check them out.

No one told me I cant or that PADI won't let me, they just didn't seem too fond of the idea....

AKScubaInst..... said it all in my opinion.

If you like the BP/W Buy it and use it.

I love mine .

Not one dive shop owner, with whom I've discussed the differences between the BP/W buoyancy compensator and a conventional jacket/vest style BC, be it back inflate or jacket style, has ever been able to explain to me how the BP/W is more "technical" or "complex" than the other styles of BC's.

My God, the BP/W can't be any more simple !!!

You put your arms through the shoulder straps, just like you do with other BC's, you place the waist strap around your waist and fasten it, just like you do with other BC's (minus the fact that you have to secure a bazillion other things like cumberbunds, other clasps, etc.), inflate the bladder, just like you do with other BC's, jump in the water and deflate your bladder to descend, just like you do with other BC's, and, once at depth, add or release air from the bladder to maintain neutral buoyancy, just like other BC's.

I guess I'm just a dullard and dolt, but I really don't see a difference ?????

A BP/W IS a "regular" BC.

the K

Air down there Scuba in Little Canada sells Back Plate & Wing BCs. They are on Little Canada Road west of I35E. I would guess if they sell them they would be happy to train.

Nothing in padi standards against using a wing (or long hose for that matter).

You'll rarely if ever see them in dive schools purely due to the time taken to adjust a harness for new students and constantly moving from pool to open water etc.

As most people as a result training in normal BCDs, when they decide to buy their own kit they look to buy what they're used to - so a BC as opposed to a wing.

PADI have no problem with students or instructors actually using them if they choose.

I think one of the reasons one doesn't see more BP/W's on instructors is that the LDS prefers that the instructor instruct in the gear that is sold by the shop in order to promote equipment sales.

The student desires to emulate the instructor.

PADI has no position in the matter of what type of BC is used in training.

the K

I think one of the reasons one doesn't see more BP/W's on instructors is that the LDS prefers that the instructor instruct in the gear that is sold by the shop in order to promote equipment sales.

The student desires to emulate the instructor.

the K

I know my LDS sells both "regular BC's" & BP/W's, but the instructors, AI's & DM's use the "regular" types for classes because that's what is in the shop's rental gear (most OW students don't have their own gear, let alone BP/W). The owner & head instructor wants the instructors & staff to use similar set ups for classes because it keeps everyone in the same set up & tends to make it easier & more comfortable for the students to know that everything is the same. I seriously doubt, though, that my LDS would have issues with a novice using BP/W if they wanted to. As what was stated before; a BP/W IS a form of BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom