Does the great lakes need a Quarry subgroup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. Interesting question.

Gilboa is mentioned alot here. I hope that does not stop. We do other quarries around here as well.

Gilboa is the more centrally located for many of us. One of my buds drives 2 hours from Detroit and I drive 2 hours from Columbus.

That same bud also does the deeper Lake wrecks. I like reading about those trips as well. Much longer drive for me. And problematic because I do not own a drysuit(yet).

I surmise there is so much quarry discussion here because:it is relatively cheap..easy access, during many months you can use a wetsuit, and of course the comradery.

As posted in another area a few months ago, just because someone likes to dive quarries, that does not mean ALL they do is dive quarries. That much I can guarandamtee.

Diving Pennyroyal has been a goal of mine. May have to delay that since there are no Pirannha.

Ha ha! Wolfie... Two unnamed GLWC divers decided to search for a fin that was dropped off the boat. The one diver therefore dove with one fin. The plan was for them to drop straight down, find the fin, put it on, then swim to the wreck. Unfortunately the current and somewhat low vis got the best of them. By the time I surfaced, the captain was all wound up because the current was taking these two somewhat experienced divers into the path of the ferry boats. So we had to go rescue them.

I promise I will publish more Great Lakes Wreck videos this season. :)

I joined the group because I thought you were about wrecking brain cells and livers along with a few kidneys to boot!

Tim,
That just the members from the states that begin with "I". We all know that subgroup is a little "special"!

(Sorry... Couldn't help myself... You threw out the nerfball.)

I think I need to move back there. I love the diving and you guys seem like a lot of fun! Diving with one fin and killing livers to boot......
What's next, target practice with flare guns.... I can't say it's never been done.....

What's next, target practice with flare guns.... I can't say it's never been done.....

Oh yeah... This group is also known for being card carrying holders as well... Gotta love the toys! Heck, you gotta have something to do during the surface intervals right? :D

Yea ... AARP cards! :wink: We have members with fin-puter-oners to prove it.

HEY!!! I RESEMBLE THAT COMMENT----Oh, there I go shouting again.

Ha ha! Wolfie... Two unnamed GLWC divers decided to search for a fin that was dropped off the boat. The one diver therefore dove with one fin. The plan was for them to drop straight down, find the fin, put it on, then swim to the wreck. Unfortunately the current and somewhat low vis got the best of them. By the time I surfaced, the captain was all wound up because the current was taking these two somewhat experienced divers into the path of the ferry boats. So we had to go rescue them.
BoneSnuggler, get the story straight if you are going to embelish it.......One of the unamed GLWC members dropped their fin off the back of the world's weirdest dive boat set-ups while tryig to get geared up in pitching seas. We were in the middle of a squal out on the great lakes facing high winds and 6-8 foot waves. The unamed diver entered the water to do a grid search and recovery of said dropped fin. His unamed dive buddy, the key being dive buddy, enterd the water with first diver as he was trained to do so that if the first diver had been confronted with a situation while submersed like possibly a free flow at depth the dive buddy would have been there to assist first diver. After an extensive search of the lakes bottom it was decided through proper signaling that both divers should surface together for safety purposes. Again the dive buddy never leaving his dive partners side. Upon surfacing the divers noted that heavy current had pushed them further east then they were able to account for while submerged. The dive buddy who only entered the water as he was trained to do again came to the support of the first diver by inflating his safety sausage and not in any male bonding kind of way, not that there is anything wrong with that if that is what you are into. The safety sausage was inflated to warn other boaters of the surfaced divers who were eventually rescued after the rest of the divers finlly surfaced after the captain tried feverishly for 20+ minutes alerting them that there was a condition that required them to surface. After ignoring the signal the other divers finally surfaced and took their sweet ass time boarding the boat while the two unamed divers, due to heavy current and being down a fin, were swept dangerously close to the ferry boat shipping lanes. If not for the courage of the fearless drifting divers panic may have insued leading to a tragic outcome. Luckily good training and plenty of practice at local quarries provided them with the capability to avoid tragedy. It is very important while diving in said great lakes that skill sets are at their highest level. Thank god for the quarries and their ability to provide a training ground for members of the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew and name that originated when the group was created many years ago. As the annoited President of the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew, even though I am not tech, cave, instructor, rescue, tri-mix and rebreather certified, we take great pride in welcoming divers from all levels and locations into our little family. Anyone is welcome to join us for their first beer, heated captain and apple cider, lemonade death drink or if you prefer your first quarry, drysuit or great lakes dive even guys from the east coast, especially if they have a boat in the Mackinaw area.:D

Now carry on with flaming the outsiders.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom