Dogs & Diving

Do you take your dog with you when you go Diving?

• Leave at Home.

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Leave on Beach.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Leave on Boat.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Goes snorkeling with me!

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Thought about getting gear for?

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Don't have a Dog...

Votes: 48 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaylinQ

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
I was wondering how many divers out there take there dogs with them when they go scuba diving? What sort of things you've encountered, what problems you've come across and what you've done to resolve these problems. And yes...Have your ever thought about getting gear for them and taking them down with you? :snorkel:

and other things... :dbone:

Do you leave them at home?
Do they go with you on the boat?
Do they stay and wait on the beach?
Do you make them wear a life-vest?

:updown:

I see no reason to bring them with me. If there isn't anyone staying on land to watch them I say..Leave them home for their own good.

Mike M

i have 2 little river ducking dogs and they are just too hyper to bring on the boat beacuse they love the water ,they would be in it b4 i am took em once and brought them home the same afternoon it was just too mutch ! besids they are safer home !

If I did have a dog.. I would leave it at home... not fair to the dog or anyone else.. Dogs have a tendency of getting in the way all the time.. My 0.2 cents

Well, my wife doesn't dive and is WAY too attached to our dog to leave him at home so she "runs the beach" when I dive. She sets up her lawn chair and plays fetch with the dog while I dive.

We've found a dog friendly hotel or two and that really makes things easier for the weekend trips.

Now, when we leave in two weeks for Roatan and Belize... That's another story!

kcDiver

Some friends of mine took their dog with us camping last weekend, and I would take their dog anywhere with me! I think it would be neat to snorkel with her around. I would make sure we were in safe waters for her though. You need to be concerned about your dogs safety too.

UPDATE:
Geez, I can't spell can I??!!??

:hi:
We have one Australian Shepherd that we take with us pretty much everywhere we go. Here name is SiTara. She is well trained and listens well to commands:halo:. As far as taking her on dive trips we have never had a problem with her. When she sees us preparing the dive gear for a trip she gets excited. Most times we give her the choice of whether she wants to come on the boat or not. When she doesn't want to come, she'll insist on waiting for us in the room. If and when she does decide she wants to tag along, by going on the boat on her own accord. I make sure the conditions are right. Cloudy, as I don't want heatstroke happening!. Not windy, as I find it unsafe if the waves are to high. One time she did insist on coming when the waves were a little higher than usual and, she did get seasick by the end of the dive. She ended up sitting out the boat rides for that dive trip and the next two! She was quite happy to get back to shore! Most importantly she must wear a life-vest at all times when going out near the water. Plus the usual of bringing extra water for water. We mostly dive in a Bay so the water is fairly calm. I do u/w photography and prefer diving in ideal conditions. The only problem I've come across so far is the Dog Hairs! Does not mix well with camera equipment...lol. As for taking her on a live-aboard or long trips to unfamiliar places, no I would never subject her to any danger without taking the time to check it out first. Though I know she would adapt well in most cases. Oh and yes...we are lucky by being where we live in that, hired help is cheap...we have a driver that subs as Tara's doggy-sitter, he goes wherever she goes. One of the things I enjoyed most second to diving is having taught her to swim with us while we snorkel. When I met her she was 5 yrs old and didn't know how to swim! Now when we do our surface intervals and go snorkeling, she comes with us. Though she does have a tendency to use me as a life-raft even with the life-vest on, when she gets tired! Meaning it's time to hit the shore! I guess it all depends on the dog's personality, type of dog (some dogs are not ment' to swim like bulldogs and sharpie's...lol), the time you take to train them to make them part of the family, location, weather and, yes having someone available to watch them while your doing your favorite thing is very helpful!
And I don't think we'll be snorkeling in Florida anytime soon....*<grin>*. Were both allergic to gator's:gator: and flying:fly:!

now days I don't . Either the places I go aren't dog friendly, or the people aren't, which amounts to the same thing. Or if I did go some where that dogs were welcome I couldn't even tie her to a post to go to the bathroom without some goody-two-shoes kicking up a fuss about me mis-treating her. So I gave up and now she stays home alone. (So, goody-two-shoes, is that better for her?)

Back
Top Bottom