Dogs & Scuba/Snorkelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just noticed a custom wetsuit for dogs on Otter Bay's website.. the text reads " Our 3mm custom dog suits are popular with duck hunters and cold water snorkel dogs."

I am dying to know - how many of you folks take your dogs on a dive or snorkel trip, and what do they do, or what do you do with them?

Furthermore, what is a "cold water snorkel dog"? :) Do they just swim around with you and scare all the fish away? :)

I have a service dog and love her to death, but don't know what role she'd have on a scuba trip. I wonder if she would be alarmed to see us submerge and not return to the surface. Anyone have experiences to share?

:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Don't know about dogs but cat snorkelling is a popular pastime.

It doesn't take much skill on the part of the owner or cat, just the right choice of adhesive tape.

I cannot come up with other reasons of taking pets for a dive than for pleasure, but if somebody would like to have a look at how you do it, watch this clip on youtube:

YouTube - Scuba diving cat and dog

We dove at my in-laws lake cottage several years ago when our old Labrador Retriever mix was still with us. She didn't recognize us with all the neoprene and gear on at first. Once she figured out who we were and saw us go underwater my mother-in-law said she paced the dock while leaning over to look in the water for us and whined the whole time we were gone.

This was the same dog we would take water skiing with us. She always got upset when one of us was out of the boat and she barked until we got back in.
Ber :lilbunny:

Reminds me of an old saying that would apply equally well to diving:

"There's no such thing as a good fishing (diving) dog."

Our dog is affraid of Scuba gear. Hides anytime I start setting up doubles or even just pulling regs out of a closet. Probably because his 1st experience with it was a cracked open tank valve with all the loud hissing. Wants nothing to do with it. When you want him to go outside for a bit and he refuses to go, just grab an Argon bottle and watch him bolt for the door. We have taken him when teaching a class on the beach. Make our 13 yr old hang out with him. Dog loves the water but hates the gear.
6usfjly.jpg

Spoiled dog
89rxhj5.jpg

Love that picture!!

I cannot come up with other reasons of taking pets for a dive than for pleasure, but if somebody would like to have a look at how you do it, watch this clip on youtube:

YouTube - Scuba diving cat and dog

That's hilarious! It looks like it's based on some sort of rebreather design? I can't hear well enough to make out the dialogue on the video, if he explains it in any detail.

Does anyone here know how to e-mail of Gene Alba, of Redding, CA? I'd love to learn more, just to satisfy my own curiosity. :) Please feel free to PM me.

It looks like it's based on some sort of rebreather design?

What makes you think that? By looking at the video its clear there isn’t even a full operating regulator in the system. It’s more on line with a free air system like an old surface supplied systems.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom