Doh! Well, I did it. I made a newb mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
Who me? No, I've never done that. :)

Yeah, me either, and I'll never do it again. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
That's not a newbie mistake. A newbie mistake is submerging with a snorkel instead of a reg. :cool:

Yet another reason to keep the snorkel in your pocket until you want to go snorkeling. :cool:

Terry

Even better, keep it in your car.

Tigern:
Went diving yesterday early in the morning(6:30 am) with a buddy and
I talked with the service guy and he said they normally charge about 50 bucks to do the inspect and service + cost of parts if any are needed. Not a lot of money but money is money.
So for all you new divers out there, don't be a dumb***** like me. Make sure that dust cap is on.

I wish someone would explain what the concern with getting the inside of your first stage wet is. The Mk25 is a piston first stage which is I believe almost all chrome plated brass. In use the middle part of the regulator, the "ambient chamber", is of course full of salt water. Quite evidently the ambient chamber does not immediately rust when exposed to salt water. So since most of the rest of the regulator is made of the same materials as the ambient chamber what is the concern? Is it the cone filter? Or does this concern really only apply to diaphragm first stages?

Is there really any harm in getting clean fresh water into a piston first stage?

A.

BarryNL:
Even better, keep it in your car.

What a good place for a newbie question. I hate the way my snorkel seems to always be in the way. The first couple of dives I made after cert. it seemed I was always messing with it to keep it from flopping in my face of on my neck. Once it was almost completely off my mask strap.

The last four dives I made, I simply left it in my bag with the rest of the stuff that I dont take underwater. Of course I was in a fresh water spring fed pool -- no waves.

Another related comment. I am not a very good surface swimmer without all the gear. I feel totally incompetent suited up and trying to swim out to a place to start the dive. I get there faster if I just go under and stay under while I am headed out. One of my lake dives it was pretty windy and quite choppy and swimming on the surface while using the snorkel for air was not very pleasant and marginally satisfactory it seemed to me.

Any suggestions or comments on the use of snorkels when scuba diving? Securing them? Use during surface swims? Are the 'absolutely dry' snorkels really that. I would much rather breath and get nothing than breath and get a mouthful of water.

Thanks,

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom