Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got my Air2 hooked up to a nitrox spare air... one can't be too safe underwater, ya know.

Kim:
Waynne - I think you'd better check my profile before we get all the folks here talking...... (might even be too late!) :D

Too late Kim, you're now a pink HUB wearing transvestite. All because of Wayne!!

:lilbunny:

CALI68:
Scott and or any of the other DIR/Monterey people following this thread, do you know of any DIR/BAUE people that act like this? The Monterey DIR community has some huge egos (and exceptionally talented divers) but I don't believe I have met a single one that would pick on a non DIR diver. Most of them are nice people. Seriously. Some may be a bit harsh online but in person they are all pretty cool. From what I gathered even the most vocal DIR proponent would banish any dip sh**t that chooses to act like that.

Bummer! 50 dives and they are acting like that? Lame!

-Chris

I agree Chris. Personally, I don't know of anybody who would behave or condone these clowns...it's just uncalled for.

Scott, I agree. On the other coast, we usually reserve the name calling for members of our own team who look like they need a little picking on that day or is otherwise being a clown. The S-word is not usually spoke because it makes everyone look like an idiot.

There is an very interesting comparison I'd like to make regarding DIR and naval aviation. No, really.

Back in the early days of the jet aircraft, pilots were instructed much as scuba is taught today. Your experience depends mostly on who teaches you. You learn your habits primarily from what you instructor teaches - or doesn't teach. And everyone's experiences are vastly different.

The accident and death rate - especially around the aircraft carrier - was extremely high. It was safer to be in combat than to fly aboard an aircraft carrier.

Then the navy introduced standardization. Specifically, NATOPS - Naval Air Training and Operating Procedure Standardization. Everyone learned to handle engire fires the same way - using the same procedure - a procedure that was born of experience and mistakes and death. You didn't learn "Bubba's way" anymore. Equipment, procedures, communication, everything - was standardized. Didn't matter if you were just flying around the block on a sunny day, or doing a "night fright" terrain-following combat mission. Everything was standardized. And if you don't play by the rules then you lose your wings and you go fly Bubba's way.

The accident and death rate dropped precipitously. And the mishap rate has thankfully remained low.

Obviously there are thousands of Air Force, Army and civilian pilots who fly thousands of hours without NATOPS. So it's obviously not for everyone, but it's one way and IT WORKS and it SAVES LIVES in dangerous and demanding environments.

I think there is an obvious similarity to the DIR philosophy. It's good, it works. I think it should be taught from the very beginning, like a GUE BOW as an alternative to PADI BOW.

But they should be brave enough to change the name to lose the controversy. And lose the attitude while they're at it.

boomx5:
I agree Chris. Personally, I don't know of anybody who would behave or condone these clowns...it's just uncalled for.

Yea and that's what I've been racking my brain trying to figure out. I don't know of any big truck driving, buffed out macho loud mouths that throw the "S" word around here in Monterey. I can't think of a single one. Most of the DIR people around here (and actually most of the dive community as a whole) are very nice people. They may argue amongst themselves online but again I have never seen anyone act like what the original poster is describing. I'm not saying that the original poster is lying but it just doesn't add up.

Giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt, maybe it could be that these Guys that he's describing are Internet DIR divers that haven't taken DIRF yet.

Still, It doesn't add up.

-Chris

Doc Harry:
That's the primary reason GUE hasn't had the honor of having me as a student.
Actually, I doubt that such divers would be members of GUE, let alone have taken a GUE course.

I also doubt that more than about 10% of the reports of such activities actually involve anyone with any sort of technical dive training.

saltos:
It happens all the times in Mlata Last wwk 2 lads with double 15ens and dego gases dor a 15 minute dive in 40 metres a 28 Nitrox With A single 18een will do just fine do not woryy
That sounds like a workup dive for something deeper or longer.

In that case the single tank would not have been appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom