Dolphin Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never dive with them, but got to snorkel with eight "wild" dolphins (one of them was a baby!) in the Bahamas as part of the resort's program. Awesome animals, and they have that weird gene possessed by all marine mammals that makes them uncharacteristically attracted to chewing on fins.

if a dive is guaranteed to have dolphins swim up to you and be touched (like the 'swim with the dolphin' tourist things, some areas have) is that really 'diving with dolphins'? is that a 'special' experience?

anyone who pays the $$'s can do it....

imagine this;

you're diving a reef, studying it's beauty. just as your mind settles into the peace only found here. your concentration is broken by a sound. you strain hard to hear it again, but after a moment, you're sure it was your mind playing tricks. you turn your attention back to the reef. your mind is again consumed by the beauty of the reef. you contemplate how long has the reef been there, how many ships have sailed above not realizing what was below. a faint whistle awakens you from your thoughts, then another. you now realize it wasn't a mind trick.

you know what is making those sounds. but you've heard them before. always in the distance. as you listen your mind absorbs the beautiful sounds. more whistles and clicks, you then realize they are much closer than before. you search the edges of your visability for a glimpse of what you know is there.

suddenly, through a shaft of light descending from the surface, you see it. your heart races as you watch the dolphin descend. you notice it's color, how it's muscles ripple as it swims, the raw power of this magnificent creature. out of the corner of your eye you see movement, another dolphin, closely followed by 4 more. you stare in awe at their magnificence.

the pod of dolphins swim toward you, but not too close, they're not sure of you. a stranger in their home. they circle a few times, communicating with each other. then, one of them looks deep into your eyes, into your soul. you feel a warmth, a warmth only experienced by the soulful look from a loved one. at that moment you sense a bond. you are positive, that for a moment, that dolphin 'understood'...

IMHO, that's diving with dolphins.

I would also love to dive with dolphins, but I've heard it's rare.

I did experience the "Dolphin Interaction Program" at Sea World. We got to go into Sea World before the park opened and learn about the dolphins. Then we got suited up into wetsuits and learned how to handle them and play with them!! It was an incredible experience!! Then we got to go home, change, and return to the park for no additional cost for the next 2 days! We have some awesome pictures of us interacting with these mammals...incredible!!!

I was staying on lanai for a few days and one day we came into the harbor after our second dive and there was a large pod of spinner dolphins there. I donned my snorkel gear and swam to the center of the channel. I heard them before I could see them...after about 10 minutes I saw some ghostly shadows far off...then all of a sudden there were about 150 of them circling me. they continued to circle and play for about 30 minutes. there was a mother and her calf that were very curious. they would only get to within about 15 feet of me, but they didn't seem uncomfortable with my presence. ...I was lucky enough to get some good shots.

it was really a thrilling and even spiritual experience.....

FWIW. In Roatan, if you stay at Anthony's Key Resort, not only is the dolphin dive cheaper, but you have free acess to the daily dolphin shows and if you take their boat taxi over to where they keep the dolphins, you can interact with the young ones from the pier they have there. The little ones were like little dogs, in that they brought us strands of grass to throw and they would fetch them and bring them back to us. Great fun, really neat. And no charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom