Dolphin Tech BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have serious mobility issues. I have a vertebrae in my back that is moving 8mm anterior and 8mm distal so my strength and movement is limited. For my warm water BC that I wear with a skin I do have padding for my shoulders and quick releases. Warm water is an aluminum plate. I can't twist or lean forward or backward so the quick release buckles help me. For my cold water BC that I wear with a wetsuit I do not have the shoulder pads but I still have quick release buckles. Cold water is a stainless plate. Otherwise when set up properly most people don't need a padded harness. I can see how if you have a wide chest or broad shoulders a chest strap might be beneficial

Based on suggestions here, I'm looking at the basic DGX BP/W setup with an aluminum plate and 2x 4lb trim pockets as a dedicated warm water travel rig. I'll figure out a dedicated cold water setup later. I still have to order my Seaskin drysuit anyway so that will take some time.

I thought I needed buckles too years ago until I realized I did not. It is important, to have stiff webbing. The stiff webbing holds an open shape in the straps. To get into the rig I just put my arms back and sit down into it and then reach across with my opposing arm and pull the strap up onto my shoulders. To get out, I push the straps off my shoulder and stand up. No plastic quick clips needed. You can put neoprene pads on the straps for some cushioning if diving without exposure suits.

A cell phone texting woman ran a double stop sign exiting the freeway and hit me at 55 MPH destroying my MX-5RF (hopefully) and sending me to the hospital three weeks ago. I am going diving in Cozumel in three more days. Even though my right shoulder was dislocated in the impact and is still relatively immobile (and I am doing PT for it) I can get into and out of my Hog harness without adding clips because I can still sit down and stand up. And that is a good thing!

But, I guess if they are really needed, do what works. Lots of people think they need additional clips and buckles and the fact is they mostly do not. YMMV.

N

I thought I needed buckles too years ago until I realized I did not. It is important, to have stiff webbing. The stiff webbing holds an open shape in the straps. To get into the rig I just put my arms back and sit down into it and then reach across with my opposing arm and pull the strap up onto my shoulders. To get out, I push the straps off my shoulder and stand up. No plastic quick clips needed. You can put neoprene pads on the straps for some cushioning if diving without exposure suits.

A cell phone texting woman ran a double stop sign exiting the freeway and hit me at 55 MPH destroying my MX-5RF (hopefully) and sending me to the hospital three weeks ago. I am going diving in Cozumel in three more days. Even though my right shoulder was dislocated in the impact and is still relatively immobile (and I am doing PT for it) I can get into and out of my Hog harness without adding clips because I can still sit down and stand up. And that is a good thing!

But, I guess if they are really needed, do what works. Lots of people think they need additional clips and buckles and the fact is they mostly do not. YMMV.

N
At this point I'm looking at the basic DGX harness setup I linked above but also the backpack style soft plate DGX harness also linked above. I do have a few long standing injuries from college sports and from active duty that I live with and just don't talk about much. So ergonomics may play a part, not sure yet. Gonna try and hook up with a couple friends that have similar but more expensive rigs and see what will probably work best for me. Either way, even though I would love to have a one-size-fits-all warm/cold water solution, I know that what I get will likely end up being dialed in for travel and I'll just figure out a drysuit setup later on. I'm on a weight loss, fitness and physical therapy journey right now and I would like to get a Seaskin drysuit cut for me. But I probably have about 6 months before I want to give them my measurements, so I have time to figure the cold water thing out.

OP, one thing to mention, not sure how big around you are but that Dolphin Tech waist strap padding plus weight pockets on me would never cinch up. I have a 30 inch waist and that thing looks way bigger than that at it's smallest. I would have to remove the waist strap padding so that the buckle could be all the way to the right side when sized as it is supposed to be. On a Hog rig, the buckle should cinch up well to the right side of the waist, the crotch strap should be on the left side strap and centered when fitted. All of these "deluxe" things just get some element or elements wrong in execution which is why they are a fail in use and many, if not most, enthusiast divers eventually gravitate to a plain and simple Hog rig in it's most basic execution.

A 30 pounds lift wing can handle a dry suit with a single tank on a steel or aluminum plate and dive tropical on a textile plate. Frankly, I hate the standard bent tech plates for singles and use instead either the Oxycheq Ultra Lite textile plate, a stainless steel Freedom Plate or more recently, but not to the exclusion of the others, the VDH universal mini plate.

James

Wanted something with a little more padding than just a plain webbing and something that would be easier to swap between warm and cold water backplates before and after travel. But it was about half the price of say a Dive Rite Transplate setup. I was looking at the Transplate, but the largest single tank wing it packages with is the Voyager at 35lbs. This wing is 40lbs which I think gives me enough margin for using it in drysuit diving. My vision is to configure this with an aluminum backplate for travel and then when back home for cold water diving, swap in a 6mm stainless steel backplate for added weight. The total cost would be on par with the DGX BP/W package, but it would have a heavier lift wing than the S1 and it would have some padding. I was also looking at the DGX setup but the S1 wing would not have enough lift for me to comfortably use it as a warm/cold water combined solution.
I would take a look at the Sub Gravity system. You have a choice of 4 backplates (3mm aluminum, 3mm stainless and 6mm stainless) 4 wing sizes, 2 harness styles (one piece or a simple adjustable with 2 stainless buckles) you can add a pair of shoulder pads as an option. Backmount Gear Archives - Subgravity I have their 3mm backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for my travel BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom