Dolphin Tech BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need for 40lbs of lift for single tank diving. Unless you're using a Heiser cylinder.
32-35 is plenty. Padding on a BPW harness is just extra stuff. If you're not hiking 100yds to the water it just adds extra cost with little or no benefit. Underwater a single piece of webbing harness, when correctly adjusted, feels like having nothing on.
That harness has several things wrong with it. Too many D rings to begin with. Encourages looking like a Christmas tree in the water.
The padding and chest strap are not necessary and the padding actually limits d ring placement.
You don't need all those extra tri-glides.
Classic example of betting on new divers being like crows - "Oooo shiny stuff! Must be great! Got to have it!"
Quick releases are not necessary unless you have serious mobility issues with one or both arms. Even then, a properly adjust single piece harness will work for the majority of divers.

Ultimately you may find that the idea of swapping parts for cold or warm water to be much less ideal than dedicated rigs. 40 lb lift is likely to much (read more than needed, I use a VDH 35 for cold drysuit diving) but it will work ok.

I’ve recently switched my warm water rig to an Aqualung Outlaw with 12lb lift, haven’t used it yet but is really packs well.
Lex, if I went with two autonomous setups, do you have any thoughts on the follow for a dedicated travel rig? It's got the clips and padding that I want, all inclusive, travel friendly and comes in at $400 total. Looks like DGX's spin on a Transpac but for about half the price.

There is no need for 40lbs of lift for single tank diving. Unless you're using a Heiser cylinder.
32-35 is plenty. Padding on a BPW harness is just extra stuff. If you're not hiking 100yds to the water it just adds extra cost with little or no benefit. Underwater a single piece of webbing harness, when correctly adjusted, feels like having nothing on.
That harness has several things wrong with it. Too many D rings to begin with. Encourages looking like a Christmas tree in the water.
The padding and chest strap are not necessary and the padding actually limits d ring placement.
You don't need all those extra tri-glides.
Classic example of betting on new divers being like crows - "Oooo shiny stuff! Must be great! Got to have it!"
Quick releases are not necessary unless you have serious mobility issues with one or both arms. Even then, a properly adjust single piece harness will work for the majority of divers.
So Jim, I assume you would recommend something more like this. I guess the only thing I would need to add would be some kind of velcro retainer to keep the inflator hose from flopping around.

Lex, if I went with two autonomous setups, do you have any thoughts on the follow for a dedicated travel rig? It's got the clips and padding that I want, all inclusive, travel friendly and comes in at $400 total. Looks like DGX's spin on a Transpac but for about half the price.

It’s a good enough deal, a lot of what you “want” now can be removed in the future once you are comfortable with it and can apply experience with desire, there is a mountain of difference between cold water and warm water diving.

I'm in the research phase right now and my mind is still malleable :)

I see on many websites that sell BP/W gear, they recommend not packing the backplate attached for travel but instead separating it in the luggage, I assume to prevent damage or wear between parts. I have no experience with that concept though. If that is true, if you come and go from travel and you're taking things apart, is it that much harder to just swap backplates at that point, especially if it's not a single piece of webbing? School me.
I only disassemble gear for travel to make it pack better but you’ll find that separating the gear is only one step, without the bulk associated with a dry suit you’ll have to readjust everything to get it all back where you want it, I don’t like the bother as 95% of my dives are drysuit cold and I just don’t want to move things around.

So Jim, I assume you would recommend something more like this. I guess the only thing I would need to add would be some kind of velcro retainer to keep the inflator hose from flopping around.

Not to speak for Jim but that is the standard for many people, it doesn’t fit me, big chest so the straps slide off of my shoulders, if I only did boat dives it could work but I don’t so I set up what works for me which includes weight on the waist belt, “T” bars for a 4 piece harness with a chest strap for cold water.

Not to speak for Jim but that is the standard for many people, it doesn’t fit me, big chest so the straps slide off of my shoulders, if I only did boat dives it could work but I don’t so I set up what works for me which includes weight on the waist belt, “T” bars for a 4 piece harness with a chest strap for cold water.
Go to know, I have a 44-46" chest, but I also have quite broad shoulders so not sure if the same thing would happen to me.

A chest strap made out of a length of paracord and a bolt snap works quite well. Just attach it to your shoulder D rings.

And you don’t need a Velcro retainer for corrugated inflator hose. A loop of bungee works.

I’ve used both these solutions with success.

You really do not want all of that padding, multitudes of D-rings and plastic clips that will break sooner or later, probably in the middle of a dive trip vacation. Here is what you want:

Get the 30 pounds lift wing and get this also:

Or something similar, then you have both temperate water and warm water covered with easy switch out of the textile plate for the metal plate. Buy another harness set for the steel/aluminum plate:

With this you retain the versatility and modular wing/BP concept instead of a complicated, overly padded poodle jacket shaped wing thing with plastic clips that will break leaving the multi-piece harness useless.

When it comes to a wing and back plate, more is not better, the whole concept is based on minimalism or what some refer to as Hogarthian, named for the gentleman who brought all the pieces together and popularized the system.

If you do not need it, then leave it on shore and nobody needs four D-rings and two plastic clips on their shoulder straps. Well, maybe somebody does, but the OP, you do not.

James

Go to know, I have a 44-46" chest, but I also have quite broad shoulders so not sure if the same thing would happen to me.
Easy to add as Marie points out, if you find it helps you can add a more permanent one later.

A chest strap made out of a length of paracord and a bolt snap works quite well. Just attach it to your shoulder D rings.

And you don’t need a Velcro retainer for corrugated inflator hose. A loop of bungee works.

I’ve used both these solutions with success.
Cool thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom