Don't be alarmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's incredibly dangerous and I would highly advise against it. What you need to do is Fed-Ex me a plane ticket and reservations for the resort, and I will gladly be your dive buddy. I don't normally do this for people I don't know, but I'm feeling charitable today. :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

That's incredibly dangerous and I would highly advise against it. What you need to do is Fed-Ex me a plane ticket and reservations for the resort, and I will gladly be your dive buddy. I don't normally do this for people I don't know, but I'm feeling charitable today. :D

I second this. Besides, I'm spanish speaking, so I can be even more helpful in that enviroment.
Of course I will have to take holidays at work for you, but I think this is a good cause and I, as an AOWD, must help you not to dive solo.

My suggestion is to get in some shallow water dives by yourself before you go in a site you know well to see if it is something you are comfortable with. I don't usually carry a pony on solo dives in the local quarry where my average depth is 15-20 ft. I know the place very well, dive a balanced rig and there are not hazards like fishing line or nets, as no fishing is allowed.

I almost went to Akumal last year but had to back out so I have no idea what the site is like. Sounds like you have some experience there from snorkeling so you are better able to make the call than most people on the board. Diving solo is not for everyone. It takes a certain mindset, skill set and equipment set. You're the only one that can evaluate your situation there also.

One last thing, I'm not a tech instructor and I've never played one on TV but I would be a helluvalot more fun than that blow up doll PLUS I would tote your gear for you. All this and more for the low, low price of a plane ticket, room and board.

PS - Oh yeah, I you dive solo you will die. :)

MX-5Racer:
I'm looking for opinions and comments and if anyone else does this.(the wife is fretting over this)

I'm assuming you and your wife care about each other. There are no dives, no photographs that are more important than your wife's peace of mind. I've logged over 500 solo dives, so I'm not against the concept. About 10 years ago, my brother decided to make a solo dive within a large group. We discussed it, he was ready. When he got home and told his wife about it, she explained she wasn't comfortable with the idea. She knows he's an excellent diver, he's one of the few dive buddies she trusts completely. His competence wasn't an issue. He decided, and I personally think it was a very wise decision, that although he is ready to dive solo, there are no dives that are as important as his wife's happiness. You have to set your priorities. How would you rank your wife's peace of mind compared to the photos you want to take?

One other point, at 50 dives, you're not ready to dive solo anyway.

I think you'll be fine -- as a photographer, for many types of shoots, it's better to be solo.

Now, solo snorkeling...I would definatly stay away from that!

Jeff

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'm assuming you and your wife care about each other. There are no dives, no photographs that are more important than your wife's peace of mind. I've logged over 500 solo dives, so I'm not against the concept. About 10 years ago, my brother decided to make a solo dive within a large group. We discussed it, he was ready. When he got home and told his wife about it, she explained she wasn't comfortable with the idea. She knows he's an excellent diver, he's one of the few dive buddies she trusts completely. His competence wasn't an issue. He decided, and I personally think it was a very wise decision, that although he is ready to dive solo, there are no dives that are as important as his wife's happiness. You have to set your priorities. How would you rank your wife's peace of mind compared to the photos you want to take?

This is probably the most important point made in the thread. Memories and photos may be forever, but if you go against her wishes and something *does* happen out there, you'll find out just how long forever is because she will not let you forget... ever. Ever.

All three of you are are going to get this guy killed! Obviously he needs tech training (paypal accepted).

:eyebrow:

Make that four of you, he needs another solo diver to go with him. PM me I'll see if I can get time off work.

This is probably the most important point made in the thread. Memories and photos may be forever, but if you go against her wishes and something *does* happen out there, you'll find out just how long forever is because she will not let you forget... ever. Ever.

So, so true! :D

If you can get a pic of you entering the water with that and the look on other peoples face. You'll literally be my hero. :D

Tie a string around his neck and you have a SMB, You could even have him display a dive flag if you could figure where to put the stick! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom