Don't be that guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W8less

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
You don't have to be the world's elite diver to have and use common sense.

Last week on a small dive boat in Belize (6 to 8' swells through the reef passage) we were trying to hand off gear and get back on the boat when I noticed this white cloud in the water. What the hell is that? As I surfaced the last few feet I see this guy hanging over the gunwhale a foot away from the dive ladder heaving his guts out right on top of the exiting divers. I yelled at him "other side of the boat dude, and he looked at me like I was from Mars.

True Story!

Our dive briefing on one of the boats in Florida included a lengthy discussion of acceptable places to puke. I thought that was startling, until I saw what happened to my boatmates on the ride out . . .

Sometimes it just hits and the sick person rushes for the gunwale....

Just stay submerged and watch the fish enjoy a meal.

could be worse - I came up from a dive (in gloucester MA) to find some yutz chumming for bluefish right around our flag.

You'd think this is something so basic that doesn't require explanation.

The problem is that people who require the explanation just don't get it, even after is being told.

As far as I'm concerned it totally eliminates any potential for compassion or consideration to the fact they feel horrible.
I don't remember all the time, but when I do I take along a can or two of squid on its own ink. I happen to love that stuff and most people without sea legs don't care for it. If they lack the common sense to throw-up away from people or property, they get to hurl some extra after getting a good whiff of that tasty treat.

I confess to being 'that girl', despite my very best efforts, but Poseidon was working against me. Here's what happened. When my mate plunged into the water to tie in, my tummy finally got the better of me, and I knew that a technicolor yawn was imminent. I went for the side of the boat that was opposite to the boat's exit point, so I'd avoid 'contaminating' my poor mate, who was expected to surface at any second. But conditions were pretty rough (it was also a night dive)and more to the point, the current was absolutely ripping. As a result, everything I disgorged ended up getting carried to the other side of the boat by the current. In my defense, there was nowhere else for me to go, but that's cold comfort. I'm fully aware that karma is a bitch, and that I'll probably get barfed on somewhere down the line eventually...and I must accept it!

There has to be a cert. for puke diving in heavy seas and have the athletic skills to avoid the big chunks.

I am empathetic to someone being seasick but yo!!!

Yeah, that's bad. But I once saw a young lady - in rough seas do the same at the ladder only to fall in right where she threw up! Thank god I still had the reg in my mouth for a number of reasons - not to mention the lol.

Back
Top Bottom