Don't use a dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sufyries,
could you please ask your Aunt to take our online class INTRO TO DIVE COMPUTERS so she can see why dive computers COULD be useful?

Tell her that the class will be on me:wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

She was right, as she and some others see it, she was wrong, as you and some others see it. Frankly, I find it a foolish argument, since either tool will serve just fine. If I had to choose one tool for the rest of my diving days, I'd likely pick tables.

How about this. Go yourself and let her go by herself. No reason she should have to spend any money on you. Use all your own money and then you won't have to listen to her. And she won't have to listen to you whine about how cheap she is. Seems like a fair trade. I use tables and a computer. BTW you can still get a lot of dives with tables. You may be limited a bit but so what. Unless you decide to use your brain and do multilevels with the tables as Thal suggested. Just ask your instructor how to do it. He/she should know.

How many times did your instructor try to sell you a computer? Tables are about 15 bucks, add a Casio G-shock watch for 40, and with the depth gauge that should be on your regs you'll be fine.

And no she was not right. She should have said I'm going to Costa Rica by myself and have a good time!

Greetings Sufryies and I may be of little help because I use both tables and computers to plan and execute my dives.
I am far from lazy and would encourage you to master both and USE THEM BOTH!
It is true many do not worry about it and are just fine BUT one incident and they will feel very differently if they survive.
It just depends on what your dive goals are and what dives you plan on executing.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

So many responses, thank you! I might have been harsh on the first post on my aunt, and I can understand those of you who dive without them due to preference or budget concerns, but I just hated how she acted like she knew everything and that dive computers are for stupid people. I am also mad that she is going to Cayman with me, which is going to be VERY expensive, and wants to save a little money on something that can make a HUGE difference, and even tries to justify it with vague remarks sent by email. I wholeheartedly understand the dive table, but memorizing it was not a part of my certification, whether you condemn it or not. I believe that I need a dive computer for this trip. I will get a dive computer one way or another. And I made a mistake when I said "maximize bottom time." I'm not going to wait seconds until my DC time is coming to the end, I just believe that electronics nowadays are more accurate than crude tables. I may be biased in that my instructor said many a time to use a dive computer, but I just think that it makes sense. I think this thread boils down to, was she right in what she said in that email excerpt?

So if your computer craps out, what is your backup? You will have the tables in your kit, right? And a watch?

My son certified in the spring. I bought him a watch. He dove all summer with tables, his watch, and analog guages, and bought himself a computer at the end of August. His tables stay in his kit, his watch on his wrist, and the analogue guages in his console for backup / redundancy.

Sounds to me like you have an entitlement issue. And it sounds like you will make a terrible dive buddy for your aunt - you show absolutely no respect for her experience. If you don't respect her experience, why are you diving with her? Oh yea, she has the wallet. Regardless of your opinion on computers, tables are more than adequate for the job and, if we understand you correctly, the trip is on HER dime, not yours. She doesn't NEED to justify anything to you.

So long as you are doing anything on someone else's dime, you need to get an attitude adjustment and learn a little gratitude and respect.

I cannot believe the email that my Aunt, who has been diving in the coast guard back in the days that having a dive computer was not a standard, has sent. I have been certified by SSI and my instructor told me that as long as I understand the dive tables, and use a dive computer I am fine. He said I will get maximum bottom time and it is much safer. AND IT MAKES SENSE! My Aunt also comes from a long line of incredibly cheap moneygrubbers and I am sure that she has a problem spending fifty dollars to rent me one for a week, and WE ARE GOING TO THE CAYMAN ISLANDS! (Is she a safe person to be with?) I will rent one with my own money if she wont! Here is an excerpt of the email she sent.

"Tell Grant NO ONE here has a dive computer. I am talking about people who dive all over the world. Dive masters. Dive instructors. People who have dedicated their lives to scuba diving. The consensus here is that they are a silly waste of money, for people who are to lazy or too stupid to use a dive chart. My yoga instructor is also a rescue diver, has dove on every continent (except Antarctica) and thinks they are rediculous." - Ignoramous Aunt

She said that you guys who use dive computers are too LAZY and STUPID to not learn how to use a dive computer! The audacity to come from her! Can I consult someone who really knows what they are talking about? BTW, this place where the general consensus is to not get a dive computer is Costa Rica, if that helps any.

Sufyries

A better question, with your attitude, is whether you are a safe person to dive with? You are more than a bit too hot tempered for my taste.

Your Aunt sounds amazing and you sound like a spoilt, entitled brat ! Grow up.

I cannot believe the email that my Aunt, who has been diving in the coast guard back in the days that having a dive computer was not a standard, has sent. I have been certified by SSI and my instructor told me that as long as I understand the dive tables, and use a dive computer I am fine. He said I will get maximum bottom time and it is much safer. AND IT MAKES SENSE! My Aunt also comes from a long line of incredibly cheap moneygrubbers and I am sure that she has a problem spending fifty dollars to rent me one for a week, and WE ARE GOING TO THE CAYMAN ISLANDS! (Is she a safe person to be with?) I will rent one with my own money if she wont! Here is an excerpt of the email she sent.

"Tell Grant NO ONE here has a dive computer. I am talking about people who dive all over the world. Dive masters. Dive instructors. People who have dedicated their lives to scuba diving. The consensus here is that they are a silly waste of money, for people who are to lazy or too stupid to use a dive chart. My yoga instructor is also a rescue diver, has dove on every continent (except Antarctica) and thinks they are rediculous." - Ignoramous Aunt

She said that you guys who use dive computers are too LAZY and STUPID to not learn how to use a dive computer! The audacity to come from her! Can I consult someone who really knows what they are talking about? BTW, this place where the general consensus is to not get a dive computer is Costa Rica, if that helps any.

Sufyries

her next rant should be that anyone who doesn't use a horse-collar BC is just lazy about learning to use it - BP/W - sheesh, bet no one would dare dive one there......:coffee:.
For that kind of diving who needs any sort of BC? Totally unnecessary ... dive Hawaiian!

Your Aunt sounds amazing and you sound like a spoilt, entitled brat ! Grow up.
If someone offered me a free dive trip and told me that I had to wear one of those old ping-pong ball snorkels ... I think I'd humor them.

I have a dive computer that I bought right at the beginning.
It's the model that connects with a hose, in lieu of, the normal PSI indicator.

I've found it very useful for transcribing dive data into my logbook. I find it's worth the 300 I paid for it.

In retrospect, I would have preferred the Blutooth transmitter, kept the old fashioned (but reliable) PSI indicator, and gone with the HUD mounted model (inside your mask). On the plane back I like to fill out my logbook, using the computer.

Imagine having to put on my mask, in the plane, to view the HUD ... :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom