DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helps to know people and ask the right questions. PST is my preferred tank so it is wise to keep up with how to properly maintain them. You will find that most divers that service their own gear try to keep up with these types of things....

Well that sounds like fun. I guess I need to brush up on my DOT guideline reading a bit. I think I would rather do just about anything else with my time though.

I'm fairly sure that when the SP expires, the tank can not continue to be used. Then it becomes a question of whether the valid hydro date will be enough to fool the fill op.

My LDS told me getting it hydro'd will get me 5 more years of service. I know he's honest, and he told me he has 7 PST tanks that he was bringing in as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just sharing what my LDS owner said.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 02:42 PM ----------

This is a post from a local NJ scuba board. One of the members called PSI earlier in the month and they said they were going to apply for the extended permit.

He called them back a day or two ago and they said they hadn't applied for the permit and weren't going to.

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board: Re: High Pressure cylinder permit expiration

Once again, I don't know what's going to happen, I'm just sharing what I've been told. Everyone will have to make their own decisions.

My tanks went in a week ago.

If I'm not mistaken if you have the paperwork you can file for your own exemption for them.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 02:48 PM ----------

But just in case I got rid of all my PST HP tanks except the one I use for servicing regs on the bench. HP 80. Nice and short and I have a transfill whip to recharge when necessary.

They renewed in Canada last October so it would seem unlikely to me that they wouldn't renew in the USA. That said the renewal is dated a few months after the June expiration but that may have been Transport Canada. Besides in the USA there are other ways to get a renewal that are not available in Canada.

Unlike Worthington, who has had their renewal in for several months, there has been nothing from PST on the DOT site for renewal. I have been keeping track of this for a few months now, and have even called them. If the DOT gets a renewal application it will show up there.

Unlike Worthington, who has had their renewal in for several months, there has been nothing from PST on the DOT site for renewal. I have been keeping track of this for a few months now, and have even called them. If the DOT gets a renewal application it will show up there.

correct.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 09:36 PM ----------

If I'm not mistaken if you have the paperwork you can file for your own exemption for them.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 02:48 PM ----------

But just in case I got rid of all my PST HP tanks except the one I use for servicing regs on the bench. HP 80. Nice and short and I have a transfill whip to recharge when necessary.

sorry Jim, only the owner of the exemption , not the tank owner can apply to extend and PST has not.

I posted on this about 5-6 years ago as a reason i would never buy exemption cylinders from any manuf., it is just too risky.

crap, guess i'm driving out to the hydro place this week

hopefully the hydro places won't be backlogged from all the other panicky PST tank owners and you miss the deadline.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

IF the deadline for the existing exemption passes with no renewal, would the DOT even allow PST to renew the exemption at a future date ?

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

They renewed in Canada last October so it would seem unlikely to me that they wouldn't renew in the USA. That said the renewal is dated a few months after the June expiration but that may have been Transport Canada. Besides in the USA there are other ways to get a renewal that are not available in Canada.

I REALLY hope you're right!

sorry Jim, only the owner of the exemption , not the tank owner can apply to extend and PST has not.

I posted on this about 5-6 years ago as a reason i would never buy exemption cylinders from any manuf., it is just too risky.

Chris - I had heard or read the same thing as Jim several years ago. They let the exemption go down to the wire that time too, and I was told that another organization could apply. It didn't come to it then.

I have 9 HP120s that serve as my air bank. It would totally suck to have to replace them all.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom