DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The exemption has been submitted for renewal and is due for approval shortly. They have submitted both snail and email to cover bases.

tbone, what's your source for that statement? I talkjed to the DOT in DC today (Monday) and was that there is NO renewal in the pipeline and the current permit will expire on January 31, 2015 (this Saturday). There may be an alternative which is requesting an "Offer Permit" and I've got someone I'm talking to about that tomorrow. Supposedly the Offer Permit would allow end-users (those who already own tanks) to continue to use the, have them filled, get them hyrdoed, etc.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 06:54 PM ----------

I'm fairly sure that when the SP expires, the tank can not continue to be used.

According to the DOT guy I talked to today, that is correct. Once the permit expires, the tanks can no longer but hydroed, filled (regardless of how current the hydro date is), or transported, according to the DOT.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

They renewed in Canada last October so it would seem unlikely to me that they wouldn't renew in the USA.

Who is "they"? My understanding is that Pressed Steel LLC, th eholder of SP9791 and E9791, no longer exists so who would be renewing this if not them? This isn't meant as a challenge to what you said, just curious as to who is doing this.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 07:01 PM ----------

just got off the phone with PHMSA. there is no renewal of the SP9791 permit at this time. PHMSA can't issue a renewal because PST Cylinders is no longer in business. SP9791 can be converted to a use permit, but unfortunately it seems to we will all have to apply for a use permit separately. will update when I get additional information on what options there are for the use permit conversion.

This is the same info I got today, also from PHMSA. As to the use permit (the "Offer Permit" I mentioned previously), an indiviudal can apply for it. I'm unclear as to then whether it automatically applies to anyone else using the SP tyoe of tank, or if each inididual has to then call them and say "Me too" and be added to the Offer Permit. Will post an update after I chat with them tomorrow.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 07:04 PM ----------

Can anyone confirm whether PST is out of business for good or not?

Out of business for close to 10 years now. HOWEVER . . .

The permit renewal that was issued in 2011 was issued to "PST Cylinders, LLC, Milwaukee, WI" so it may be that they still exist on paper (and could renew again) but no longer conduct business. If someone's really ambitious, check with the Wisconsin Secretary of State to see if they're still registered as an active business.

LINKS:

TO THE ACTUAL PERMIT: http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cac...5ABAA0FB140100/filename/SP9791_2011021983.pdf

SP9791 PERMIT STATUS: PHMSA - Home

- Ken

Last edited:
I find this discussion every few years hysterical, and hysterically funny

Chug
Not worried about my PST tanks.

The "they" is PST Cylinders LLC of Milwaukee WI. and the individual is Robert Darling President.
I have provided the listed contact information to tbone1004 and runsongas.

i talked with robert darling using the contact info from the canadian renewal this afternoon and he assured me that he was going to renew sp9791, but after talking with the special permit office, it seems that they have not seen the paperwork. so the best case scenario still involves a lapse in the permit probably.

There was a post on CDF that PSI has submitted a request for renewal. PSI owns the rights to the special permit.

According to the PHMSA website the SP9791 expires on 2/28/15, not in Jan. 2015. So it seems there is more time for renewal.

Capture.jpg

I just talked to Bob Darling at PST Cylinders and he's submitted the renewal. I started a separate thread on this.

- Ken

I too spoke to Bob at PST and I was told the same thing. The exact women at US DOT who processes the special permits did not have his renewal on her pile to process. She provided me with her direct email which I provided to Bob. This was last Wednesday.

I'm sure the hydro shops around North America are welcoming the business from the panic. Probably a PITA to reconfigure for the 7/8 valve each time a few come in.

I just talked to Bob Darling at PST Cylinders and he's submitted the renewal. I started a separate thread on this.

- Ken

Thanks Ken and everybody else who is bird-dogging this issue!!

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom