DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris - I had heard or read the same thing as Jim several years ago. They let the exemption go down to the wire that time too, and I was told that another organization could apply. It didn't come to it then.

I have 9 HP120s that serve as my air bank. It would totally suck to have to replace them all.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

While I can see why you might WANT to replace them; it is YOUR air bank, so why would you HAVE TO replace them?

Chris - I had heard or read the same thing as Jim several years ago. They let the exemption go down to the wire that time too, and I was told that another organization could apply. It didn't come to it then.

I have 9 HP120s that serve as my air bank. It would totally suck to have to replace them all.

I've got 7 PST's myself..... (4) HP 120's, (2) HP 100's, (1) HP 130.

Ship them all to me, I'll make sure they don't die along with the exemption.

While I can see why you might WANT to replace them; it is YOUR air bank, so why would you HAVE TO replace them?

Because I don't have a compressor. They get filled at my LDS.

no offense to OE, but they are very wrong as are any other person that said the exemptions can't and won't be renewed, that being said if you want to scrap your PST tanks, I'll take all of them. PST is still around though the scuba division is no longer. The exemption has been submitted for renewal and is due for approval shortly. They have submitted both snail and email to cover bases. This is similar to Worthington who is also no longer making scuba cylinders and they are submitting the renewal for their bottles as well. Every few years people get antsy about the renewal and every few years it still gets renewed and will continue for quite a long time. It's an irritating PitA, but if you want to avoid it, just sell them to me and go get some Fabers or PST low pressures

There really seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

Is there anywhere you can go to verify that the exemption was filed?

just got off the phone with PHMSA. there is no renewal of the SP9791 permit at this time. PHMSA can't issue a renewal because PST Cylinders is no longer in business. SP9791 can be converted to a use permit, but unfortunately it seems to we will all have to apply for a use permit separately. will update when I get additional information on what options there are for the use permit conversion.

I would think that PHMSA would desperately want to find a way to not have to deal with likely thousands of individual use permits.

Keith, my source of information was unfortunately wrong. I was told the renewal had been submitted, but after verification with PSI-PCI it appears it has not been. Will be a lot of phone calls this week trying to figure out what's going to happen

just got a call back from PHMSA. they currently are trying to get PST Cylinders to renew the permit so they don't have everyone filing for a use permit, but so far have been unsuccessful in getting the renewal application from PST. Can anyone confirm whether PST is out of business for good or not? Because I am getting conflicting information on whether they are in business still or not.

Back
Top Bottom