Double 72's with #36 Halcyon Pioneer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I wouldn't get in the water with it.

Call www.northeastscubasupply.com and see what kind of deal they can give you on a wing. They sell a complete doubles bp/wing setup for like $320.

pants!:
Personally I wouldn't get in the water with it.

Call www.northeastscubasupply.com and see what kind of deal they can give you on a wing. They sell a complete doubles bp/wing setup for like $320.

I thoroughly understand your thoughts on using a setup like this per your previous post(s).

You know, I DO realize I can get setup on the cheap with doubles. I have every intention to go with a normal doubles wing when I actually set up my 98's for it. For now I just wanted to toy around with the idea of using my 72's for something other than collecting dust. I do own a black diamond in addition to my BP/W setup so instead of selling it right away it may make a nice small doubles setup for when I solo shore dive.

Again, just wondering if this were plausible with the aforementioned wing.

I just went downstairs and laid my 30lb eclipse between my al 80s and bp - there is no way that it could inflate even half way. My 72s (at shop right now) are just a little more narrow than my 80s so I don't think that it would be possible with those either. There just won't be enough room.

Jackie

Hoyden:
I just went downstairs and laid my 30lb eclipse between my al 80s and bp - there is no way that it could inflate even half way. My 72s (at shop right now) are just a little more narrow than my 80s so I don't think that it would be possible with those either. There just won't be enough room.

Jackie

Hey, thanks for checking it out. The Pioneer is slightly larger than the Eclipse but probably not enough to make a difference. I kinda figured this would be the case but you never know if you don't try (or ask) :)

Get in the pool w/ it and let us know. I know most of us havent tried it and I've never heard of anyone doing it but 72's would be the ideal tank IF it were to work.

oh yeah, this would definatly go in my pool first before diving with it. I was thinking about using bands like the ones in the attached picture. They would lift the tank away from the wing a little more allowing for more inflation of the wing but I'm not sure if the rig would be as stable as you would want. If the bands don't work out for the Pioneer I know they will work with the black diamond.

I just assembled my first set of doubles yesterday and they happen to be steel 72's ... so I laid my Pioneer wing (27#, but same profile as the 36#) against it and took pictures from several angles for you.

I'm a die hard DIY guy ... but I don't know how you'd get enough lift. You will at best be getting half your rated lift capacity... Let us know how it goes though, and if you find a way to make it work congrats!

Another idea... Ebay the Pioneer and pick up a dual purpose wing like one of the DiveRites...

Hope you find an ingenious solution to share with the rest of us :)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I missed your last post, looks like your bands may give you a little more room for inflation than mine do. - Have fun, be safe, and blaze a new trail :wink:

I know for a fact that it is possible to use an single wing (30 lb Oxycheq I believe) with double Al 80's
I wont say how I know this suffice it to say it was not me that forgot my doubles wing ! It worked,even with an Al 40 stage
Suspect the results may be a bit different with heavy steel tanks,thick wetsuit,non optimal weighting etc.
Ideal?Not by a long way. Possible? Yes

Flame Away :D

ianr33:
I know for a fact that it is possible to use an single wing (30 lb Oxycheq I believe) with double Al 80's
I wont say how I know this suffice it to say it was not me that forgot my doubles wing ! It worked,even with an Al 40 stage
Suspect the results may be a bit different with heavy steel tanks,thick wetsuit,non optimal weighting etc.
Ideal?Not by a long way. Possible? Yes

Flame Away :D

Interesting ... and no flames from me :wink:

If mstudley's 72's are like mine (2250psi lp65+) they have nearly the same bouyancy characteristics as an AL80 -3 full & +2.5 empty ... of course my lds fills mine to 3200psi instead of 2250 making them about -5 full ... threw me the first time I dove with them as I felt like I had to nearly fill my wing (1/3 full actually) to get neutral. Ended up bumping into the bottom before I had caught up with them ... quite embarassing actually...

Aloha, Tim

The problems I see with this idea are:

Constraint of the wing. The doubles are likely to limit the expansion of the wing, resulting in less lift. How much less? If you really want to know first weigh the wing empty, then assemble the rig as you plan to use it and fill the wing with water. Dissassemble and weigh the wing withthe water in it. The difference in the two weights represents the available lift.

The second problem I see is the total lack of tank wrap. Wings should, at least slightly, wrap along the sides of the tank or tanks. This greatly helps with stability. The tanks / bands / regs are net negative, at least at the start of the dive, and the wing is buoyant. With a slight wrap the buoyant wing is at the same level as the negative tanks. With all the wing trapped below the tanks you have an overturning moment greater than normal, i.e. turtle city.

Bottom line, it might work, especially if you don't need much lift, but it won't be optimal.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom