Double hose manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a reason they don't make them. I dove them in the Navy for 15 years. They are fine but the USD regs are prone to being banged around and having problems with free flowing. Plus double hoses exhale easier than Inhaling. and the hoses are problematic. If you want one for the novelty of them by all means have at it. But any single hose regulator will work longer and actually breathe easier and when a problem arises be able to get fixed by any dive shop. Ok all you double hose lovers I don't need any bashing just point out what I said that's incorrect. My double hose DA regulator last used in 1970 is hanging on the wall Just my opinion.

Some of what you say may have been correct then.....100% of it is false now. I can take your "wall hangar" and with modern updates make it perform on par with just about any single hose regulator ever produced.

@sealark aside from a lack of commercial availability of servicing (limited field of commercial resources that would undertake service), there isn't much truth to what you have said in regard to the modern double hose (Kraken), or even an updated USD....

That being said, the likelihood of needing service is probably the same as any modern single hose, and possibly less as it isn't buggered up with "improvements" that did nothing but add complexity to justify a new model.... some new models are actually less robust that those of the past as substituted modern materials (lets reduce costs, maximize profits) are not as resilient. Regulators are simple machines, with little significant advancement since inception....

What we have run up against is "technicians" not knowing what the heck they are doing.....

There's a reason they don't make them. I dove them in the Navy for 15 years. They are fine but the USD regs are prone to being banged around and having problems with free flowing. Plus double hoses exhale easier than Inhaling. and the hoses are problematic. If you want one for the novelty of them by all means have at it. But any single hose regulator will work longer and actually breathe easier and when a problem arises be able to get fixed by any dive shop. Ok all you double hose lovers I don't need any bashing just point out what I said that's incorrect. My double hose DA regulator last used in 1970 is hanging on the wall Just my opinion.

You are welcome to your opinion but don't feel like you are being bashed when you are corrected by those who know the modern DH regs. Most of what you have said is not accurate when discussing the AK or an updated older reg for that matter.
All regs are prone to damage if not taken care of but I will give you a DH may take more damage than a single hose if abused. Free flowing is more of an issue with improper use by the diver than the reg, the new DSV has all but eliminated the problem. While it is true the old DH regs had higher inhalation resistances than single hose regs of the day, that is certainly not the case with the Argonaut with the new DSV. Last weekend I had mine checked on a new, modern flow bench by a large local repair facility, they were shocked at the results. It beat the pants off of a SP MK-25/S700, MK-17/ G260 and an Atomic Z3 up until very high flow rates, ones that are way above what anyone can breath. This is not my "feelings" but the output of an impartial machine. Service wise, they are no different than any other reg, a good USD/AL tech an easily service a Argonaut and most of us service our own anyway. Try getting a HOG serviced a Scuabpro shop....odds are it's not going to happen. As for the hoses being "problematic" I don't see an issue. Yes they do need a little more care- being properly cleaned but that is not much of a issue these days with the elimination of the duckbill.
Bottom line, this is not the same reg you were diving back in the 70s and comparing it to them without first hand experience is not an accurate way to evaluate them.

Hey to each his own I worked on them for 15 years. Now you tell me how having to suck to get air from a hose that is attached above your head can change and get easier than a second stage at your mouth. Just trying to save the guy some trouble and expense unless he really knows what he is getting. I loved using my double hose just roll over on your back and get all the air you ever needed by getting the regulator below your head. A fellow diver at UW swim school in Key West Gave me a Conshelf single hose because I said I'll never go to one of those new single hose. One day I dropped my double hose and had to use the single hose in my Dv bag. Never went back to the double hose. Oh those two hoses are hell in a heavy current and tend to get hung in stuff more than single hose. I'm sure modern hoses are made better than the old black rubber ones. Enough said if I had am operational one I would probably take it out and use it again for old times sake.

You should stay with your Conshelf, you will not he persuaded and we have already had this disscusion in another thread with you and your opinion has no bearing on this thread subject matter. As Herman said, your opinion is not data and the data is not an opinion. N

You should stay with your Conshelf, you will not he persuaded and we have already had this disscusion in another thread with you and your opinion has no bearing on this thread subject matter. As Herman said, your opinion is not data and the data is not an opinion. N
Should have known.......

So, to the conneseurs... What is it with this breathing thing. I came accros another post saying that when you were to dive in a horizonal way, it would be difficult for breating. I understand it is all about positioning of the first stage/ reg, but still.

I am of the mind that you too should consider staying with what you know. If you cannot explore beyond the edges of the known world you are destined to experience the same thing over and over. If that is sufficient to your being then be satisfied.

To answer your question, the Kraken has a much more powerful Venturi (can and nozzle design) than previous designs including single hose regs and the cracking effort (about .5 inches or even less) can be tuned very low coupled with a high flow capacity (alluded to by Hermans hard data machine test on a flow bench) optimized with the housing design and the DSV vane (preventing bypassing) the effort to breath is on par with modern single hose regulators.

And by the way it is well known that exhaust effort is more tiring that inhalation effort in WOB testing. For those who are not willing to learn new things, alter their set ways then again you best stay with the gurly mahn single hose stuff and poodle jackets.

All regulators are positional senstive, all of them, dh regs are different from sh regs in the way they breath in particular positons and it is something you have to learn to understand and deal with, either way.

The mouthpiece of a dh is weightless in the water, the hoses are not a problem in current, the exhaust and noise is well behind the diver affording a much more sensual experience and does not frighten shy creatures with bubble face.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom