Double Hose Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should wander over to the Vintage group. There are a lot of double hose users over there. They stop by here as well.

Upside: they're cool! I have 3 but I have only had one of them in the ocean, so far.
Upside: put your bubbles behind you

Considering strictly a double hose regulator

Downside: no octo for your buddy and DH buddy breathing just isn't taught.
Downside: face down, they breathe a little harder than a single hose reg
Downside: flat on your back, they pump the air down your throat.
Downside: depending on the particular reg, you may not have IP for octo, BC inflator, etc. The DW Mistral doesn't have IP. The DA Aquamaster and Royal Aquamaster have a hookah port you can use to get at the IP.
Downside: you need some kind of banjo fitting to connect a SPG between the reg and the tank. Or you can use those J valves that have an SPG port.

Mitigation of downsides:

Phoenix nozzle replaces the standard inlet nozzle and provides ports for BC, octo, SPG, drysuit and uses more modern first stage parts. But the nozzle pushes the can forward about 3/4" if that's a problem.

They're not for everybody but they're cool!

Richard

Last edited:
They are also reliable because of their simplicity. No O rings to wear out, few moving parts, no LP or HP hoses to fail.

Richard you missed a big plus, the cool factor. I put my DH on and I get lots of questions, no one looks twice at any of the single hose regs I have.
With a several single hose regs to choose from (and several DH regs as well) I usually grab the DH unless I am with a class. I just prefer it. I use one a lot when I have a camera in my hand. The bubbles are out of my face and the fish don't seem to be as spooked with the bubbles a little farther away.

AuburnFan, you should drop Slonda a PM, he is down your way and I bet he would put you in a DH to try. I will warn you, they are addictive.

There was a time, back in my prime, (apologies to Toby Keith...) when single-hose regulators would grab the attention.

I'd LOVE to make another dive or two with a double-hose reg again!!

Speaking as a regulator fixer, I'd like to rebuild a two-hose single-stage reg. I've never done one and wanna see if I can do it!!

I have my own equipment and use a single hose regulator. I was just curious to why someone would use the double hose.

1. High performance
2. Simplicity
3. Very quiet and smooth
4. Bubbles exhaust behind you and do not beat the hades out of your ears, frighten the wildlife or obscure your vision
5. Rugged, second stage is sealed in can from environment
6. Excellent cold water performance
7. High flow capability
8. Mouthpiece is weightless enhancing comfort and reducing bite fatigue
9. Reduced parts count
10. High reliability far exceeding modern single hose stuff

I could go on. Double hose regulators were produced in single stage versions and two stage versions, in the picture below I am diving a Phoenix modified two stage USD Royal Aqua Master on the Spiegal Grove.

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

Here in the Bahamas with my Phoenix Royal Aqua Master:

ChisVintageDiverPics2009014.jpg

Here in Destin Florida a few days ago with my single stage Voit 50 Fathom:

IMG_1639_edited-1.jpg

Of course sometimes I use a sissy regulator, shhhhhhh, don't tell the guys:

IMG_1582_edited-1.jpg

N

There was a time, back in my prime, (apologies to Toby Keith...) when single-hose regulators would grab the attention.

I'd LOVE to make another dive or two with a double-hose reg again!!

Speaking as a regulator fixer, I'd like to rebuild a two-hose single-stage reg. I've never done one and wanna see if I can do it!!

If you get down my way, be happy to put you in one. Mistral, DA, Royal, Phoenix and even a DH with Royal Master first stage in it. As for rebuilding one, if you can rebuild a Conshelf or Titan, you can rebuild a DA or Royal. The guts of the RAM first stage are the same ones that are in the Conshelf/Titan. There are a few tricks to setting up the second stage and IP but nothing much different than a single hose reg. Fine tuning the second stage and placement of the duckbill are the things that would be foreign to you. I also have a reproduction Voit Blue 50 Fathom if you prefer a little color.

So a DH reg is pretty much vintage and no body makes a current model. I dont think I'm ready to start fixing up regs just yet but thanks for all the replies. Sorry it was a little confusing at first.

So a DH reg is pretty much vintage and no body makes a current model. I dont think I'm ready to start fixing up regs just yet but thanks for all the replies. Sorry it was a little confusing at first.

11. Exclusivity

I agree, get your diving down, then learn to fix up stuff.

N

If you are buying new equipment, you want to get a single hose regulator. That is the current standard and performs very well. There is at least one manufacturer making a new double-hose regulator. I saw a diver using one on a liveaboard trip a couple of years ago. The double-hose setup will not breath as easily as the single-hose design. The double-hose design has the advantage that the exhaust bubbles exit behind your head. An underwater photographer might find this to be a useful advantage.

This is absolutely false. I will assume you understand case geometry fault on a single hose regulator, so you know that any cracking pressure lower than .5" on most regulators will cause them to freeflow any time they are out of your mouth. Furthermore, on a single hose, because of CGF you will have a slight freeflow when in the head down position with any cracking pressure less than the distance between the exhaust valve and the diaphragm (typically anything under 1" of water). A doublehose does not have these problems because the exhaust valve is directly next to the diaphragm. A well tuned doublehose with a balanced first stage will smoke any modern single hose regulator. Where do you get your information?

Herman is correct. Anyone near Savannah is welcome to join me for a doublehose dive. We can even use the YMCA (where we teach divers) if you want a controlled environment and a certified DM.

Back
Top Bottom