Double vs. Single Bladder Wings (and bungees too).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 40 pound Halcyon wing. it works fine with double 80's and 2 Al 40's. With Steel 130's it is a bit marginal. (Although an Al backplate would have helped) If I was diving 130's with stages in the ocean I would want a larger wing.

So,Al 80 doubles. 40 pounds is OK
Steel 130's ,55 pound lift preferred
Only going to buy 1 wing? Get the 55,not much bigger than the 40

A 94 pound wing is ridiculous

I just realized that we are forgetting he probably carries a sledgehammer on these 400 foot dives and needs the extra lift to bring up all the goodies :wink:

ianr33:

Dan Gibson:
I just realized that we are forgetting he probably carries a sledgehammer on these 400 foot dives and needs the extra lift to bring up all the goodies :wink:

And remember, its hard to ascend with a porthole clipped off to your scooter d-ring :wink: lol

ianr33:
If I was diving 130's with stages in the ocean I would want a larger wing.

Really. I use my 38lb AGIR wing ocean diving, double 130's, two deco bottles. SS bp and trim weight. (and other have had more bottles on)

The 38 is marginal in fresh water, but not in the ocean.

The 94 wing is for those guys that love to hang steel deco bottles off themselves.

ianr33:
I have a 40 pound Halcyon wing. it works fine with double 80's and 2 Al 40's. With Steel 130's it is a bit marginal. (Although an Al backplate would have helped) If I was diving 130's with stages in the ocean I would want a larger wing.

If you don't flood your DrySuit, all you need is enough lift to float the rig, and compensate for the weight of the gas. If you do flood the suit.....................

Tobin

O.K I agree that a 40(ish) pound wing will float just about anything. But I would still PREFER (not REQUIRE) a 55 pound wing in some conditions. (130's,fresh water,surface swim with some chop)

At least we are discussing the merits of 40 pound vs 55 pounds,not 40 pounds vs 94 !

cool_hardware52:
If you do flood the suit.....................
Been there, done that...went into a wet t-shirt contest. If you have the right kind of undies, there is little to no lose of buoyancy.

Tek Adventure Diver:
Wat things are bad about a double wing. 94 pounds of lift are not too big, its comfort, When doing a deep dive, with 3+stage and deco bottles, its bout comfort, not having to have your wing fully inflated, i find the wing great for me. bungies there are nothing rong wit them. Since you say this wing is soooo bad, then y dont you tell me y, instead of tellin me that there are problems, just cuz the DIR book says its bad, doesnt mean it is, in the practical world. I think ppl should realzie wat DIR is, Halcyon and GUE. Its wierd how DIR suggests and somewat forced Halcyon. WAIT, is it bout marketing, UR DAMN RITE. Im sure u ppl have never done a 428 foot dive wit heliox, and i would like to see it.
If this EBONIC trash you write is the outcome,
I don't think I'll be going that deep.
Wait,didn't Shecky go there and beyond
without this sideeffect?
Yup. I just double checked it.
Must just be YOU.

Okay so if I am fully understanding Tobin let me take this one step further and work the problem a bit differently.

Rig Weight w/gas is 35lbs
Rig Weight w/o gas is 19lbs (HP100 == 16lbs gas)

Dry Suit (DS) to be neutral the counter weight is 30lbs

So DS counter weight less Rig w/o gas is 11 lbs of additional lead.

If additional 11lbs of lead is on the rig w/gas it is now 46 lbs.

Then add the additional gas for the suit 5 lbs which for the sake of this exercise is also on the rig this brings the total for the rig to 51lbs as well. QED (?)

Now the last part that is not mentioned is that the cylinder weights are when they are fully submerged. If you want to any chance of floating above the water you probably want to have a bit more lift. Say with above one gets a 55 lb bladder. Is the additional 4lbs enough? Seems a little light to me ??????????????????

An E7-100 full is -8.5 lbs buoyant when full. So to float 2 of them you'd need 17 lbs of lift (when they're full).

If you need an additional 30 lbs to sink the drysuit etc, you'd need 47 lbs of lift if you had a complete drysuit flood with full tanks and your undergarment had zero lift when wet. No?

Back
Top Bottom