Doubled HP120s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, it looks like I have a chance to trade two aluminum 100's made in 2004 plus $200 for a set of doubled steel 120s from Genesis (made by someone else, but forget who), high pressure made in the same year. It seems like a great deal, considering I paid $250 for the aluminums' all said and done earlier this year--basically, doubled HP 120s for $450. Manifold and bands are genesis, I believe, atleast, sold by them. Local guy, so no shipping or anything involved.

I'm only OW trained right now, but look forwards to cave training in the future. Downside of the steels is not sure if most places would let me dive with doubles. I could break 'em up for a year or whatnot and then re-double them when I am ready to do cave, or I have a friend who'll let me borrow some aluminum 100s from him. The only other downside is I'll need another set of regs, and I'd needt o make my current first stage din.

I know many peoplr eccomend going LP, with something like 95s or 108's, but a 108 pumped up to 3500 something like 140 cubic feet, just over what the HP 120 is. And that's realy rough math :) If they were HP 100s that might seem a little small, but I think it'll be enough air

What is your opinion?

Oh, and I'm diving with an aluminum plate, and a DR Rec wing.

Nothing wrong with diving HP120s. It'll be plenty of gas.

$450 for a set of doubles, with bands and manifolds is a good deal if everything is in good shape.

Some people don't like genesis manifolds because they outlets are angled. I have no problem with mine and the knobs are easy to grip and use locking nuts that don't back out. Its a PITA to crack them open a small bit for analizing right to the valve.

The only places off the top of my head that will restrict you from using doubles are Devils Den, and just the Devil(Little/Ear/Eye) portion at Ginnie - until you get full cave or a permission slip from your cavern/cave instructor. They'll be allowed at Ginnie's main spring.

You'll be plenty heavy too.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain all the state parks will let me dive with them.

My reading shows that even with an intro to cave cert, I can't cave dive with them unless my instructor gives me a note, or something like that. But I've also read you can and perhaps should do the class inthem, but only if you are "proficient" in them. My goal is to get "proficient" diving in cheap or free water :)

I have heard the complaint about the valves too. The person I'd be getting them from (member here on SB, and according to other people, takes great care of his stuff) replaced the metal knobs with rubber ones.

Mine were rubber already, and I don't mind the valves at all. Infact, they look sweet, and thats what cave diving is all about :p

Some agencies will frown on doubles at the Intro level, some don't care either way, some will allow it with a permission slip from the instructor. Aside from Ginnie and Devils Den, I don't know of any other sites that will check or give a crap.

Sounds like a good deal. The only warning I'll give you is that they are pretty long tanks, so if you're a tall guy, you'll have no problem.

6-0.

I've never dove with a steel tank, but I've got a buddy who dives with a single HP120 from time to time and he has never complained about it. He's about the same size overall as I am.

at 6'0" you should have no problem with the 120's. I'm about 6'2" and I love the longer tanks. I've never dove 120's doubled, but I have used them single. I've been diving double 108's the past 2 season, which are fatter but just a little shorter than the 120's and they are so well balanced on me it's like I'm not wearing any tanks at all.

And, if they are a little long on you, I might know somebody in your area with a set of HP 100's they might be willing to trade.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom