Doubled HP120s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something like 24 pounds negative when full, doubled up and all.

My wing is a 50 pound wing, so it should be able to handle it. I use about 10 pounds of weight to be neutral in my wetsuit--two piece 5 mil. Not exactly thin stuff :) I wouldn't dive it without a wetsuit though, that'd be pretty negative!

You also have to keep in mind that with that much negative buoyancy you'll need to keep your wing inflated to stay neutral. That will add drag, increase your workload, and increase your SAC rate. LPs should take 4-6 lbs off, which will make a difference in your drag. I'd keep looking. I've seen 85s and 95s going for $450-550 on the various boards.

I keep reading bad things about these tanks....they are made by Asahi, are spun instead of drawn, are heavier (by about 8-9 pounds doubled up) probably have the funky neck thread/size, and are more likely to rust.

Is any of that true?

I keep reading bad things about these tanks....they are made by Asahi, are spun instead of drawn, are heavier (by about 8-9 pounds doubled up) probably have the funky neck thread/size, and are more likely to rust.

Is any of that true?
The heavier part is, for sure. Like I said though, in some cases that's good. I have a genisis HP 100 that I use when I dive in a drysuit.

I don't like manifolds with the up-turned ports and 120s are on the large side for even full cave dives. I would pass...

My cave instructor actually suggested getting the biggest tanks I could handle when I made my first doubles purchase. I ended up with HP130s and have no regrets. If you're back can take it, why wouldn't you get the extra gas?

I don't know much about the Asahi tanks, but LP tanks don't seem to be much different, weight-wise when pumped up. Comparing Worthington's atleast.

I considered LP95s before getting HP130s.
LP95s at 2640 are -10.1lb, -3lb empty, and weigh 41.9lb empty on land
HP130s at 3442 are -11.7lb, -2lb empty, and weigh 43lb empty on land

Pump the 95s up with a cave fill and the gap becomes much much smaller, if not making the 95s heavier.

I had a set of these Genesis HP 120's and I did not like them. I am 6'0" Tall and about 225lbs.that being said, I think they were to heavy and long. I ended up trading them for a set of LP 95's and have never been sorry.

I looked at the Genesis HP 120s. I didn't like the dimensions. I went with the Worthington HP119s which are the same physical dimensions as the LP95s, shorter and fatter than the Genesis. I'm 6'0" 20 lbs overweight (195lbs - I'm a skinny guy who got fat) and they give me perfect trim in the water.

I considered LP tanks, but decided that I'd rather have more gas within the specs of the tank, and with the same dimensions and empty weight, than try to get overfills. Sure in cave country you might be able to regularly get 5000 psi fills, but not anywhere else. Heck, its sometimes tough getting the 3442 mine are rated to. 240 cu ft of gas is enough to do a 200' dive on air with 30 minutes on the bottom, full deco plus air sharing and still have plenty left over. that's all I need :)

diving with an AL backplate and with a 7mm full suit I figure I'm 14lbs negative with empty tanks at the surface. more when full or at depth. I have verified that I can swim up full tanks with no air in my wing from 50'. you should also do that. I carry a 50lb lift bag in a quick draw pouch bolted to my wing and a good ratcheting reel just in case. if you are diving wet with that setup you definitely want to practice how you will handle a catastrophic wing failure.

I had a set of these Genesis HP 120's and I did not like them. I am 6'0" Tall and about 225lbs.that being said, I think they were to heavy and long. I ended up trading them for a set of LP 95's and have never been sorry.

I to have a set of 95's and love them. They trim out great for me(5'10" 190) I thought about the 120's-130's, but they are just to long for me. If these ever give out on me I'll get another set of 95's or 119's just to stay with the same size. If I'm not mistaken the 119 have 123cf at the rated pressure and 95's have 126cf at the same pressure . Even here at home I don't have a problem get a fill of 3000(216cf) or 3100(223cf) in my 95's and that's plenty of gas for normal diving.

Something like 24 pounds negative when full, doubled up and all.

My wing is a 50 pound wing, so it should be able to handle it. I use about 10 pounds of weight to be neutral in my wetsuit--two piece 5 mil. Not exactly thin stuff :) I wouldn't dive it without a wetsuit though, that'd be pretty negative!

It's thin stuff... At least when you get deeper, and that's where you might have a problem if you a) Don't have ditchable lead, b) Don't have redundance bouyancy (like = dry suit...)

I have no experience with warm waters and wet suits to talk of, but I know you have to make considerations regarding heavy double HP steel and wet suits. I suppose this is pretty clear. Just thought I'd put it in...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom