Doubles for NC Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the dive operators here tell you specifically you will not be doing deco or penetration dives.

If that will be the case, you are better off with a single and I prefer a bailout rigged as a stage bottle.

Depending on your air consumption, you should be running out of bottom time before gas on the deeper wrecks. So why are using doubles for recreational diving?

On the inshore wrecks you should be able to get two dives in all fine with the doubled 80s. And yes, this IS the way to go if you MUST dive doubles.

~marlinspike

So why are using doubles for recreational diving?

Where else am I going to get used to them? Need a little more challenge than the quarry...

O-ring once bubbled...

Where else am I going to get used to them? Need a little more challenge than the quarry...

You should be happy to just swim around the outside of the wreck, always staying well with the NDL (computed on PADI tables of course).

These operators are the ones you should look for. Avoid those guys that allow "tech diving" (penetration, strange gases, etc), it's way too dangerous.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, dive only air or one of the 2 standardized nitrox mixes (don't worry, that's all these shops will offer anyway).

:)

Tom

O-ring once bubbled...
This might not be a nightmare since I already have a singles wing and cam bands...I would just need another reg dedicated to singles use.

How are most people doing it?

Why not use an H-valve and then you can just switch your complete doubles hose rig over to the singles?

WreckWriter once bubbled...
These operators are the ones you should look for. Avoid those guys that allow "tech diving" (penetration, strange gases, etc), it's way too dangerous.

Tom

Thanks for the laugh, Tom - not too long ago I might not have known you were joking.

Marlin, you're right, most boats running rec. divers in NC don't want you doing deco/penetrations/etc. On those boats doubles aren't usually worth the hassle, esp. if you've got a high-capacity single with an H valve for redundancy.

But, as Tom implies, there are a fair number of captains who will let you charter their boat and do whatever you want. So find five friends, or if you can't then ask around here, and get a sixpack - it'll cost pretty much the same anyway, and you won't have some new OW diver from Connecticut doing his best to drown himself at 115'.

No deco!!!
Do they want you to keep all the nitrogen and take it home with you?

trheeltek once bubbled...
Thanks for the laugh, Tom - not too long ago I might not have known you were joking.

Marlin, you're right, most boats running rec. divers in NC don't want you doing deco/penetrations/etc. On those boats doubles aren't usually worth the hassle, esp. if you've got a high-capacity single with an H valve for redundancy.

But, as Tom implies, there are a fair number of captains who will let you charter their boat and do whatever you want. So find five friends, or if you can't then ask around here, and get a sixpack - it'll cost pretty much the same anyway, and you won't have some new OW diver from Connecticut doing his best to drown himself at 115'.

Geez, I hope everyone realized that I was joking!

You're right, the boats in question are the tourist boats. They don't want to allow advanced diving because they're making their money on tourists coming in from everywhere to dive "the graveyard". They can make more money by running trips to the edges of the graveyard and limit their liability by enforcing all these recreational rules. That's fine, most of the boats here are that way too. Those really are the right boats for most divers.

Most, but not all. NC is, as someone pointed out to me the other day (duh!), the Graveyard of the Atlantic, one of, if not the most, famous wreck diving destinations in the world. Advanced diving has been done here for as long as it's been done anywhere. The world's best wreck divers, folks like Gentile, Barnette, etc, go there on a regular basis. Do you think those guys are diving singles and staying within the NDL?

The tech boats are out there, you just have to ask around.

I know O-ring is a good and careful diver who is going about this the right way but the following is for others who might read this:

Now, with that said, before you get yourself on dives of "that" nature, be damn sure that you're up to it. Don't be doing deep air dives, shoving yourself into little holes in wrecks, pushing the envelope on deco, or anything of that nature. Just because you have the gear doesn't mean you can survive it's use. Anyone can buy a set of doubles, fill them with air, and a buy couple 40s and, if you have a nitrox card, probably talk someone into filling them with 50% and pure O2. That part is easy.

Without training however, your chances of sticking the wrong one in your mouth at depth are real high. You do it once, you tox, you die, no second chances. You go into a wreck without a line and/or proper penetration training, kick up the silt a bit, you're lost, again you die.

Anyone that wants to do technical diving should get 2 things: training and experience. Folks coming into it now have it easy, now-a-days technical training is widely available and even affordable. Take advantage of it.

Tom

I'll save you the trouble of this dilemma... We each bring a set of doubles, and a single. I'll do the dives with doubles, you can take the singles... Problem solved. :wink:

Actually, are there outfits down there that rent singles with h-valves? Any recommendations?

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Anyone that wants to do technical diving should get 2 things: training and experience. Folks coming into it now have it easy, now-a-days technical training is widely available and even affordable. Take advantage of it.

Right. Hope I didn't imply differently. The NC coast is a great place to practice skills you'll learn in technical training classes, it's not a substitute for same.

That said, still charter your own boat if possible. Even if you're just planning recreational dives, it's so much nicer to know everyone on the boat, and trust in their good sense and dive skills. The Connecticut diver from my last post is not a fictional character, I'm afraid. Most of the folks on this board seem to be good and careful divers, so you probably appreciate that as well.

Diverna, to answer your question, not many will rent H-valves. But I haven't looked too hard, honestly. Since I live down here I just bring my own.

trheeltek once bubbled...
The Connecticut diver from my last post is not a fictional character, I'm afraid.

You're right, he's not fictional. Unfortunately he's about 60% of most dive boat trips. He's not always from CT, not even usually, and he's not always a him!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom