Doubles without a manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, just a bit curious. Does any one dive back mtd. doubles with two individual regs and no manifold? Was wondering about what the advantages or disadvantages would be in that setup. If I have posted in the wrong forum, my apologies and please move it. :coffee:

[Moved to Advanced Scuba Discussion]

Independent Doubles

Pros:
Totally independent gas supply - failure of one reg/cylinder/valve has no impact on the other
Less failure points - no manifold
Doesn't require training in manifold shutdown procedures
Can be used with rental (single) cylinders - by means of cam band/temp bands.

Cons:
Requires more refined gas management / regulator swapping / cylinder balancing
Regulator failure will prevent access to all gas in that cylinder (without complex reg remove/replace procedures)
Requires two SPGs
Will attract scorn from DIR-types

Tony:

you already know what a slung bottle feels like, why not think about recreational side mount.....

Also if you have the right stuff laying around it can be a cheap and easy way to get into doubles.

The cylinders can get general usage and come VIS / Hydro time it's not such a chore.

Tony:

you already know what a slung bottle feels like, why not think about recreational side mount.....
Bob,
This was just a thought that I had. I am going to be experimenting with both options in the near future. My current BC will accept a doubles setup and I have the tanks, regs, and gauges to do it. I just need the bands and some hoses. As far as sidemount goes, I will probably get a BP/W set for clipping off. I'll be investigating setups on the board here. Don't know if the Zeagle will handle two 117 cuft tanks on the rings. Hey it's only money and they print more each day. My best to you and C

Devon, Thanks for the move and your comments.
Chaos,Swap regs as needed to keep tanks balanced.

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Also as a side note. I am suffering from the "oldage" disease and not as flexible as when I had the "youngage" malady. Doing valve drills and that stuff does not seem a safe option. Reaching back for a manifold valve might not be in my best interest.:wink: I dive to have fun and enjoy myself. Contortions 100' down is not enjoyable in my opinion. But hey thats just my take on it.

OK, just a bit curious. Does any one dive back mtd. doubles with two individual regs and no manifold?
Not any more. But, I did (BRIEFLY) at one time, as a travel alternative to BM, manifolded doubles (which may not get to the point of your question).

I tried traveling with a set of tank bands, and my doubles regs, and setting up independent doubles at the Caribbean area where I was diving, since double tank sets were not available. It was a bit of a hassle - a little too much work for too little gain. Then I was introduced to sidemount and it was no longer a consideration. For back-mount double tank diving, where I can take my own tanks, I only use manifolded doubles.
Was wondering about what the advantages or disadvantages would be in that setup.
Andy has summarized the advantages of independent vs manifolded doubles. For independent SM doubles, I would add ease of valve shutdown as an advantage, along with ease of gear handling in general - you can take one tank at a time to the shore entrance, climb a boat ladder with one or no tanks (depending on the boat procedures), etc. - while some find as a disadvantage, the cumbersomeness of having two tanks hanging at your sides, on shore. I do find it easier to walk with something (heavy) on my back, compared to weight hanging at my sides, but that is a relatively minor issue for the type of diving I do.

even with independent doubles on your back, you still should be able to reach back and manipulate the valve. If thats tough then I'm with bob and gonna suggest sidemount as a more viable option. I have the same issue with a shoulder problem, couldn't reach the valves....switched to sidemount and all is well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom