Doubling up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3400 isn't HP in my book K, these young whippersnappers got you believing an E8 is an HP tank now?

Happy christmas bud!

Geeezzzz, CD, at my advanced age, I'm starting to give my CC number to telemarketers . . .

the K

in_cavediver:
You don't. I think his misread it. it takes two identical tanks (models) to make doubles.

As for the regs, while not essential, converting to full DIN is a good idea. (Sea elite has a 200 bar DIN manifold with yoke plugs for use with yoke regs)

For bands, its hard to beat the highland millworks bands.

BP/Wing - not essential if your BC handles doubles but a nice upgrade. a soft pak such as the transpak or o-pack + wing would work as well.

Hoses - My preference is this:
left post - 7' reg hose + BC inflator
right post - 22" reg hose, 24" SPG and Dry suit inflator

Since I never have really learned the right vs left thing, and for you, new to doubles this too may confuse you. The left post is the left outlet when facing your tanks or the outlet near your right arm when wearing the tanks.

I wouldnt listen to this guy...

in_cavediver:
You don't. I think his misread it. it takes two identical tanks (models) to make doubles.

As for the regs, while not essential, converting to full DIN is a good idea. (Sea elite has a 200 bar DIN manifold with yoke plugs for use with yoke regs)

For bands, its hard to beat the highland millworks bands.

BP/Wing - not essential if your BC handles doubles but a nice upgrade. a soft pak such as the transpak or o-pack + wing would work as well.

Hoses - My preference is this:
left post - 7' reg hose + BC inflator
right post - 22" reg hose, 24" SPG and Dry suit inflator

Since I never have really learned the right vs left thing, and for you, new to doubles this too may confuse you. The left post is the left outlet when facing your tanks or the outlet near your right arm when wearing the tanks.

Never learned the "right vs. left thing"? Then learn it if you're going to give advice. It's one thing for you to flounder around in ignorance. It's another to try and teach when you don't know the correct terminology.

nadwidny:
Never learned the "right vs. left thing"? Then learn it if you're going to give advice. It's one thing for you to flounder around in ignorance. It's another to try and teach when you don't know the correct terminology.

I see humor is lost on many or did you fail to see the explanation below as to what is correct and meant?

Jeez

in_cavediver:
I see humor is lost on many or did you fail to see the explanation below as to what is correct and meant?

I saw the explanation the first time. Still doesn't change anything. If you don't know the correct terminology, then don't give advice. Even the crappiest instructors I've ever had the misfortune to run across had the "right vs. left thing" down.

nadwidny:
I saw the explanation the first time. Still doesn't change anything. If you don't know the correct terminology, then don't give advice. Even the crappiest instructors I've ever had the misfortune to run across had the "right vs. left thing" down.

I will say this as nice as I can without personal attacks.

The fact is, many people, myself included, cannot think in terms of right and left, hence the phrase, 'your other left'. Why, I don't know. Those afflicted tend to need other anchors to ensure the correct information is given, even if the 'terminology' isn't exactly correct. Hence the description in terms that my brain can think. I have gone through life looking at this in humorous terms. When that fails, you tend to look at the source of the problem and come to you're own conclusions about them.

When I started diving doubles, I went back in forth about which post is which and you know what, it frankly doesn't matter. You know which post has the long hose and which has the short hose. You know which post is prone to roll-offs and you know how to do valve shutdowns. (and for the record, my hands know the correct method but I have no idea intellectually if its clockwise or counterclockwise).

Any instructor who fails to understand this potential issue with students is doing a great diservice and failing to meet the needs of thier students. Think about what is really important here.

I personally have assembing 10 unique sets of doubles (some many time over) and have done 4 sets each year for the past 2-3 years. (3 of which are in my garage as I type this). I have helped several friends with the transition to doubles including showing them how to assemble them, valve shutdowns, trim, reg configuration, hose routing etc. They all managed to go on to and complete cave training without any issues whatsever (or changes in the doubles config). They did this even if I couldn't tell them the 'name' of the post where the long hose went, only show them.

Perhaps if I would have posted a picture instead, people would have been a bit more civil. Oh well

nadwidny:

One last point, to prove I wasn't completely crazy.

In NACD's "The Art of Safe Cave Diving", pg 25-56, they never one describe left post/right post. It's all pictoral for references.

In the "Technical Diver Encyclopedia", chp 2,. There is only a couple references to which post to do something and it is described not as the 'left post" but rather by the shoulder/side associated or by when facing the tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom