Doubling up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so which one is the left post?

question: Is the regular singles valve something one keeps for one of the double tanks when moving onto doubles (in most cases I'd guess a valve that has the knob on RIGHT - as in on your right ear when diving by MY definition...). Ie is there some sort of plug that is removed to connect tot he manifold?

The one over your left shoulder = "left".

Save the old valve if its DIN, otherwise chuck it IMO.

(Perhaps the dyslexics might consider holding off on their descriptions. They may understand it fine in their own terms, but this is a place of words. Left and right do have clear meanings in our society/language.)

nadwidny:
I saw the explanation the first time. Still doesn't change anything. If you don't know the correct terminology, then don't give advice. Even the crappiest instructors I've ever had the misfortune to run across had the "right vs. left thing" down.
So why don't you enlighten the man instead of constantly heckling and belittling everyone?

dbls.JPG

'Black Reg' has 7ft primary + BC inflator
'Silver Reg' has necklaced octo + DS inflator + SPG

A picture is worth a thousand words

piikki:
question: Is the regular singles valve something one keeps for one of the double tanks when moving onto doubles (in most cases I'd guess a valve that has the knob on RIGHT - as in on your right ear when diving by MY definition...). Ie is there some sort of plug that is removed to connect tot he manifold?
Usually you have to buy a whole new manifold. Most single tank valves are similar to the Thermo "Stand Alone Valves". These valves cannot be used as part of a manifold. However, if you have a valve similar to the Thermo "Modular Valves" then you can convert these into an H-valve or doubles manifold.

piikki:
so which one is the left post?
From Thermovalves.com (and the way I've always heard valves referred to):

"But which valve is a left hand and which is a right hand? The easiest way to remember this is to picture the valve installed in a cylinder mounted onto a BC and on your back - all ready to dive. In this configuration, if the handwheel points to the right and you would use your right hand to operate it, then it must be a right hand valve. In a like manner, if the handwheel points to the left and you would use your left hand to operate it, then it must be a left hand valve. "

xiSkiGuy:
Usually you have to buy a whole new manifold. Most single tank valves are similar to the Thermo "Stand Alone Valves". These valves cannot be used as part of a manifold. However, if you have a valve similar to the Thermo "Modular Valves" then you can convert these into an H-valve or doubles manifold.

Thanks very much. I indeed have Thermos' and had thought that I will change them to 300bar 'new' ones if/when I double up. OP got me hopeful I'd already own something I need. Looks like my valves are the regular Stand Alone ones.

(Another thing is that I do not have grounds why I am going to 300 but I will find the answer by the I would be shopping :) )

Back
Top Bottom