Down current + bad visibility + DM disappeared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow that second video is just downright dangerous... That couldn't be real...

And the 5thD videos are some of my favorites for learning skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U mean on the surface with the reflection of the sun??

Unless you are a blonde bimbo, then it is to make sure you look good when the boat arrives to pick you up :wink:

my favourite example on how not to do it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KpZe7A1NqU

That's not too far from how I probably looked the first time I tried to shoot one... :blush: Good thing no-one had a camera.

I picked up a tip somewhere sometime: If you use a spool and not a reel, clip the double-ender on the line between the sausage and the spool. If you lose hold of the spool - which is quite easy to do if you're wearing drygloves or thick three-fingers - the double-ender sinks just fast enough to keep the spool rotating while hovering in front of you. If you don't lose the spool, the double-ender just glides on the line and doesn't interfere at all. I've done this ever since, and it works like a charm.

I picked up a tip somewhere sometime: If you use a spool and not a reel, clip the double-ender on the line between the sausage and the spool....
That sounds interesting. I'm going to give that a try.

The Rainy Season is not a good time for diving! the Rain loosens soil, which drains into the sea limiting the Visibility!
Nothing to do with the Chinese Calendar!

Unless you are a blonde bimbo, then it is to make sure you look good when the boat arrives to pick you up :wink:
Lolx... maybe stiring the sea cucumber can provide me some gel to comb my hair too...
That's not too far from how I probably looked the first time I tried to shoot one... :blush: Good thing no-one had a camera.

I picked up a tip somewhere sometime: If you use a spool and not a reel, clip the double-ender on the line between the sausage and the spool. If you lose hold of the spool - which is quite easy to do if you're wearing drygloves or thick three-fingers - the double-ender sinks just fast enough to keep the spool rotating while hovering in front of you. If you don't lose the spool, the double-ender just glides on the line and doesn't interfere at all. I've done this ever since, and it works like a charm.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I might keep it simple with the nylon strap which is about 30ft having one end clipped on my shoulder D ring.
The Rainy Season is not a good time for diving! the Rain loosens soil, which drains into the sea limiting the Visibility!
Nothing to do with the Chinese Calendar!
Oh... the Chinese Calendar do make sense to me. On 15th of any month in Chinese Calender is exactly when you'll see a full moon. And understanding that moon affect tide and current.

I guess I might keep it simple with the nylon strap which is about 30ft having one end clipped on my shoulder D ring.

I definitely wouldn't do that. When you've inflated the dSMB, it becomes rather buoyant. If you're entangled in any way - or clipped to a too short leash - it will take you up with it. Remember being warned about uncontrolled ascents in your OW class?

When I shoot a dSMB, I make very, very sure that I can just let go of it if I can't control it.

What Storker said...

Here's the way I explained that video to someone who asked me about it.

"The most important thing when releasing one of these is to be in control, and especially make sure that the string isn't tangled in anything - you especially. Anything attached to that string is going up, quickly. If it's wrapped around your regulator, you're going to need new teeth, and if it's wrapped around your arm, well, you're going to get dragged to the surface.

Then you'll need new lungs."

I definitely wouldn't do that. When you've inflated the dSMB, it becomes rather buoyant. If you're entangled in any way - or clipped to a too short leash - it will take you up with it. Remember being warned about uncontrolled ascents in your OW class?

When I shoot a dSMB, I make very, very sure that I can just let go of it if I can't control it.
Thanks... will take note.
What Storker said...

Here's the way I explained that video to someone who asked me about it.

"The most important thing when releasing one of these is to be in control, and especially make sure that the string isn't tangled in anything - you especially. Anything attached to that string is going up, quickly. If it's wrapped around your regulator, you're going to need new teeth, and if it's wrapped around your arm, well, you're going to get dragged to the surface.

Then you'll need new lungs."
Will take note.

Which is why I "think" I am more confortable with the oral inflation type. Because I "think" it's easier to estimate the amount of air i blow in.

Well, I could be wrong in this.

Or oral inflation may cause buoyancy issue when i inhale fully into the smb.

Will only know until i try it our myself.

I'll hire one of my intructor friend to guide me through this in 10m max depth.

I "think" it's easier to estimate the amount of air i blow in.

I've never been able to estimate the amount of air I put into my sausage. I don't know if what I'm doing is good practice or just crap, but I'll describe it anyway.

• I prefer to carry my dSMB assembled with the spool and secured with a piece of bungee cord. Either in my DS pocket, or clipped off with the double-ender to one of my shoulder D-rings. This is one option, the other is to carry the dSMB and the spool separately, and assemble them just before deployment, like you can see in some of the YouTube videos.
  • After taking out the dSMB, I open the assembly and unroll the dSMB
  • I clip the double-ender to the line and add just a tiny puff of air to make the sausage extend
  • For oral inflation, I take a deep breath, adjust my buoyancy a bit down to stay neutral and exhale into the dSMB. I'm still neutral. Then I make a (if I'm really lucky, two to three) quick exhalation(s) into the dSMB and let it go.
  • For secondary reg inflation (not recommended in cold water; to big risk of a free-flowing 2nd stage), I just stuff my octo (or, since I use a long hose, my primary) into the opening and hit the purge button, and let the dSMB go when it starts to pull on me.

I'm pretty certain that this isn't the only way to skin this particular cat, but you could consider it and see if it works for you. If not, I'm certain that you can find other ways of doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom