Download to Pocket PC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been doing a lot of searching for Pocket PC software and have found several good logging programs but so far seem to have run into 1 major stumbling block. All the programs only support downloading information from your dive computer into a XP (or similar) environment. You can manually log into your PDA and sync or download into your laptop and then sync but you cannot directly download into your POcket PC.

Here is why I am interested...

I recently gota Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) The thing runs Windows Mobil 5, quadband GSM (I unocked it so very easy to use overseas), has WiFi, a slide out keyboard, miniSD (movies and music for the plane rides) and basically allows me to have one electronic device on a dive trip and not have to carry a laptop.

So, what I would love to be able to do is download the data directly from my computer (or Reefnet Sensus Ultra which I may get) into my Pocket PC phone. Any ideas?

I called reefnet about downloading to a wm5 machine and was told it won't work. Sensus Ultra needs a serial port.

I know there are serial to USB adapters but my unit has mini-USB. The sync cable that came with it is USB/Mini USB so either I could plug that into the adapter or perhaps there is a serial to Mini USB adapter out there. I will search!

crestgel:
I called reefnet about downloading to a wm5 machine and was told it won't work. Sensus Ultra needs a serial port.

I see this thread was just revived. I also see that someone on my end must have been misinformed or unclear...because the above isn't true.

Although Pocket PCs come with a USB cradle by default, most also have a true serial port "hidden" in the sync connector. By using a serial sync cable (several manufacturers make them...I have a Belkin) you can access the serial port.

As for software, we don't have a Pocket PC version of our Sensus Manager right now, but there are others who are working on filling the gap:

http://www.inner-space.co.uk/pdivelog/
http://www.scubase.net/FAQ.html#pda

Nothing for the Sensus Ultra yet, but the Pro should work with pDivelog.

Hope that helps.

--
Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

If you use an Uwatec smart-com or smart-pro they download directly to a pocketpc via infrared - no cables needed. I have been using this for the last 6 months and it works very well. You can make changes to the computer in the field also without a pc (like the low air alarm set point, depth alarm etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom