Draft code of practice for Belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting
iii. snorkel
Even the agencies that require it in training, do not require it on a dive. Not that it makes a difference to me, but others...

x. means to measure time and depth limit exposure to inert gas
xiii. dive computer
Addressing the same issue twice, which is correct. Or do you have to carry a depth gauge, watch, and tables as well as a dive computer ?

vi. alternative breathing gas system
Sounds like everyone will now carry a pony, since everyone already carries a breathing gas system.

Of course you know I don't like:
3.1 Autonomous Diver means Open Water Diver and above. However, all
visiting certified divers to Belize shall be accompanied by a local divemaster
that is a licensed Belizean tour guide
Their island their rules.

Other than that, it seems they are trying to address all the complaints I read about on the board about sloppy operations.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 08:00 AM ----------

Copied from post #3....."AOW certification or equivalent"...what does equivalent mean???.......

Some agencies don't have an AOW, say BSAC or CMAS for instance.

Bob
-----------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

Copied from post #3....."AOW certification or equivalent"...what does equivalent mean???.......

Different agencies have different names for certifications beyond the basic level.

Snorkel requirement: Snorkels are required for diving the Great barrier Reef in Australia. They don't have to be worn. I have a flexible one that I rolled up and stuffed in a pocket. It is very cheap. If I were a Belize dive operator, I would keep some on hand to sell or rent to people who do not have one.

Computer Requirement: While some people do dive without them and use only tables, it is a very tiny percentage. I do not remember EVER seeing someone on a dive in a resort area pulling out tables during a dive outing. I know several operators in other places, including especially Cozumel, that require computers and have done so for many years. If you don't have one and want to dive with them, they will sell or rent you one. I recently did some instructing for friends while I was staying in Florida, and because they needed to rent gear while they were there, I scouted out all the local shops to find the best packages available before they arrived. Every single shop's rental regulator sets came with computers at no extra charge.

. And yes, I am pretty sure everybody here is very well aware that these are only recommendations.

Do you mean 100 for an AOW card is a recommendation or that nobody can dive the blue hole without an AOW cert or equivalent is a recommendation?

ISSUED FOR COMMENTS ONLYoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DRAFT FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS
BELIZE NATIONAL CODE OF PRACTICE FOR RECREATIONALSCUBA DIVING SERVICES

ooooooooooooooooooooo
This is a draft and should not be regarded or used as Belize Standard.

Last date for comments: (15/10/2014)

1. 1 SCOPE
1.1 This standard specifies the minimum requirements for conducting guidedrecreational scuba diving operations in ecosystems such as coral reefs, seagrass beds and related coastal environments of Belize, only. The standardapplies to the following critical areas:

1. a) Minimizing impact to the marine environment, particularly coral reefs, seagrass fields and related coastal environments;
  2. b) Establishing minimum requirements for conducting guided andrecreational scuba diving;
  3. c) Ensure the safe operation and management of recreational scuba divingtours the activity, safety, health, emergency, equipment and specialequipment of guided and recreational scuba diving and competence ofstaff;

BZ CP DPC 5: 20XX

page5image15552
page5image15712
page5image15872
page5image16032
d) Provides guidelines for the rental of scuba diving equipment;

1.2 This standard does not:

1. a) Specify curricula or practices for initial, nor advanced diver training, thequalifications of instructors, or related subjects;
  2. b) Address standards related to technical diving such as cave diving, mixedgas diving or commercial diving;
  3. c) Address standards for hookah, snuba, snorkeling, sea trek nor any othertype of watersport that is not Scuba Diving.

I believe this draft is a step in the right direction. You have till Oct. 15, 2014 to comment.

True, the recreational limit is 130 feet. However, the AOW limit (without the Deep Diver Specialty) is 100 feet. That's where the figure comes from. And yes, I am pretty sure everybody here is very well aware that these are only recommendations.

How do you get the AOW without the Deep Diver? My agency requires Deep, Night, and Nav certs plus two additional certs for AOW.

How do you get the AOW without the Deep Diver? My agency requires Deep, Night, and Nav certs plus two additional certs for AOW.

There is a deep dive requirement for the AOW cert, but he was referring to the Deep Dive specialty. PADI recommends a maximum of 100 feet for people who complete AOW with the deep dive, and 130 feet is recommended for those with the Deep Dive Specialty. The Deep Dive specialty has four deep dives in it, and the AOW deep dive can be counted as one of them.

PADI used to require night dives, but it no longer does. That was changed for a number of reasons, one of which was that in certain parts of the world, the only time of the year that most people can dive (summer) includes very little night time. That makes it tough to do a night dive there.

... the only time of the year that most people can dive (summer) includes very little night time. That makes it tough to do a night dive there.

I've taught night classes locally where we are starting at 10:30 p.m. and we don't finish up until after 1:00 a.m. Pain in the butt.

Don't forget to actually submit your comments as requested. I'm guessing BBS won't be reading this thread.

Why does Australia require scuba divers to have/wear a snorkel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom