Drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can second the recommendations for both Scuba Club and Fiesta Americana for AI. I have shore dived both, but not FA after Wilma. Not sure about your dive experience, but those are good places to do the day you arrive before your first boat dive, to gain confidence and check your gear.

I am used to diving the cold lakes with low viz, and was amazed the first time diving in Coz when I rolled in that I could see the whole group near and far, with everyone moving at the same speed, and felt immediately much more comfortable. As was mentioned, the currents seem to be mostly horizontal, but please do monitor your depth, as it is easy to find yourself so relaxed that in the clear water you are deeper than you would have liked. But again, I found that my initial concerns were almost immediately laid to rest. You will love it!

If you find yourself getting swept ahead of the rest of your group by the current, look for a convenient coral head or trench in the sand. Duck behind the head or down in the trench and out of the current, and you can wait for the others to go past so you can rejoin them. Don't kick upcurrent if you can avoid it; that will use up your air very quickly.

I just got back from Cozumel three weeks ago.

I only had 2 dives after my certification so I hired a private Dive Master for my first days dives to be sure I was ready for the rest of the dives I had arranged. It cost me $40 above the cost of the two tank dive rate and was worth every penny for the piece of mind of having that DM with me to help with some thing if I needed it.

The dives went great. The current was not hardly notesable on any of the dives but the last one and even on that one it was not stong enough to sweep you away you just could not stop to look without working at it.

You Should not worry. Bouyancy control is more difficult than the current unless they take you somewhere that is beyound your comfort or skill level.

If you are a new diver or will be nervous or both you may want ot think about getting 100 CF tanks so that your air will last as long as the othere divers.

I rented the 100 and still had to come up before the rest of the divers because of my inexperience and nervousness.

Just go and enjoy it's great.:D

Thanks for the video if that is what drift diving looks like i am good to go. I am already certified in fact I am a master diver I just have not been drift diving yet.

My first ocean dive was a drift dive on Santa Rosa Wall and I to was a little nervous about drift diving not knowing what to expect. It was great! I remember getting to the sandy bottom above the wall at about 70 feet and getting in to a fairly strong current and having that feeling of zipping along, we just stayed close to the bottom and got through it to the wall and then descended along the wall where the current became slower and easier paced. Makes me want to hop a plane right now and go!

Gaffer

Since it is your first drift dive and you are a bit nervous, definitely tell the divemaster your situation. Most divemasters I've had there were very accomodating and will take the time to make sure you are OK.

The currents can change with each dive but for the most part it is a relaxing way to dive. You just go with the flow and you stay with the group. If you get ahead of the group, duck behind a reef or in a channel to get out of the current. Try not to kick against the current or you will go through your air quickly.

Depending on the current, you may have to get off the boat fairly quickly and close together. So try and get ready early so you are more relaxed and don't feel rushed.

Also listen to the pre dive briefing closely. If you run out of air you may have to come up early so be sure you know the procedure. It's no big deal, but just be sure you know what you need to do.

The last time we went (November) we stayed at the Occidental Grand (we got a great deal through my sister) which is an all-inclusive. It's pretty quiet and laid-back as far as all-inclusives go. One big advantage is that is minutes from many dive sites. Get on the boat and you're pretty much at the site. Hard to beat that. We didn't do any shore diving from there so I can't speak to that.

Have a great trip. You're going to love it.

Cozumel is all about the drift. That said, as mentioned by divers above, there are indeed dive sites with minimal if any current, depending on the time of year, current weather conditions, etc. Inform your dive master of your concerns, team up with a trusted dive buddy, and RELAX. Responsible dive ops will not take you to Punta Sur or Barracuda on your first trip to Cozumel if you are not experienced and/or comfortable. Drift diving is awesome and definitely something you should try a few times before you write it off. Like anything else, the more experience you gain, the more comfortable you will be.

As for AI resorts, I enjoyed my stay at Fiesta Americana a couple years back.

Have fun. Safe diving.

Although there are shore diving sites described for Cozumel, I have a feeling that most of them would be disappointing. The terrain underwater seems to be a very shallow shelf that goes out to the walls. Close to shore, there isn't a lot to see (we did two dives off the place we were staying, and although there were a few critters on the seawall, there wasn't a whole lot else).

Particularly if you are newer diver, and aren't yet bored unless you see something spectacular, shore diving is not bad at FA and SCC. I'm still at the stage where I can find all sorts of interesting things most anytime I'm underwater. I loved the shore diving at FA - I loved what little I did at SCC, but I didn't get to do much since I was traveling with non-diving family who needed some face time.

I can second the recommendations for both Scuba Club and Fiesta Americana for AI. I have shore dived both, but not FA after Wilma.

Shore diving at Scubaclub, if that's where you are staying, isn't totally boring. They have a nice little artificial reef out from their pier in about 20' that attracts fish.

I can second the recommendations for both Scuba Club and Fiesta Americana for AI. I have shore dived both, but not FA after Wilma.

I've been to both, post Wilma.

My preference is SCC, but it's not a strong preference.

As to shore diving, FA is a little gentler (less surge around the rocks), has lots of juveniles in relatively shallow water, and on most days we were there (February this year) had less current. SCC had bigger things (large lobster and octopus were reported when we were there one year post Wilma). Off the FA shore there were a couple of marine debris piles that had lots of interesting critters (morays, scorpionfish, arrow crabs). The artificial reef wasn't there yet at SCC when I was there, unless you are talking about the remnants of the pier that Wilma destroyed.

SCC's dive shop was more reliable during off hours - we had trouble hooking up with FA the first couple of days and missed some shore diving. Both were fine for the boat dives - FA was shallower on the 1st dive of the day (~60' rather than 90'), but that may have been a function of the particular guides we had.

I like SCC's location better - you can walk into town. Since I don't hang out at the pool or drink a lot, there wasn't a lot to do at FA during off hours without a car (or a taxi ride into town). If you like hanging out at the pool and free drinks, you will likely prefer FA (drinks are included in the AI and the pool is fantastic). If you like good local food, a smaller more-like-family staff and don't plan on drinking much, you will likely prefer SCC. I was not impressed with the FA food (but it did make it easier not to overeat :) )

I am planning a vacation to Cozumel and someone posted that all the diving is drift diving is that true? I am a little leary of drift diving I do not want to get sucked down to deep to fast.

My first drift dive was on the Santa Rosa Wall off of Cozumel. An 8 ft Lemon Shark drifted by over my left shoulder. The current carried me right along with him and I was able to "hang out" with the little guy for 3 or 4 minutes! Without the current he would have swam right by in a moment.

The current was nothing but relaxing. I never felt like it sucked me to a different depth. It was easy enough to duck behind a coral outcropping if I wanted to stay put for a moment.

We loved diving Cozumel. Be not afraid!

my first trip after certification was to cozumel. it was fine, in fact it was awesome. they're not gonna take you down into serious current situation. they'll send a divemaster down there to check conditions first, and if they don't like it, then they'll move to another site! you'll be fine. you'll have a great time!! we stayed at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, and the dive op there is Dive Paradise. we had a great time and i'd go back in a heartbeat!

Not necessarily. If you don't like current and drift diving, Cozumel really is not the place you want to go.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom