Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I think I've heard enough. This thread has gone to places I never thought it would. I was only looking for a SIMPLE explanation. I guess that it impossible in this forum.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I noted the good doctor had a disclaimer at the end of one of his posts' after citing research, ....

Hi Travelmind,

Just to clarify, that disclaimer is automatic on all of my posts regarding health and medical issues.

It's not there because I don't have confidence in the research cited or the information offered; if I didn't have confidence in them, I wouldn't post em.

Rather, the disclaimer is intended to protect both myself and any readers who may incompletely understand, misunderstand, take out of context, or improperly apply that information.

Being a big proponent of personal responsibility, I'm with you on that score. IMHO, our society has nearly derailed when it comes to this concept and practice, and it impedes our freedoms and costs us billions. As you indicate, it's the primary reason for such things as disclaimers by medical professionals and the no drinking and diving rules that many dive ops enforce. Thanks for the reminder

Regards,

DocVikingo

I did see that DocV... I was being rather coy (poorly executed apparently) as we'd wandered so far from what the OP had asked I thought I'd just ask it again.

Hey Waynne,

Okay, I got it. Went over my head.

Yes, this thread has had plenty of wanderings, highjackings and anfractuosities, for which I definitely am partially to blame. And I'd had no alcohol or caffeine ; )

Regards,

DocVikingo

I surely do not, Tortuga68, and any simple BA calculator (e.g., Blood Alcohol Calculator Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself, Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook) will show that, as TSandM has indicated, "Three hours after one beer, if you are fairly good sized and if you had food with it, your blood alcohol level will be low. But it will not be zero."

Really? That's your idea of a credible reference? Try one that actually works, or that isn't on a page linking you to DUI lawyers.

http://www.rupissed.com/

Or better yet, do the math yourself. I mentioned in an earlier post the rate at which the mythical 'average' person matabolises alcohol

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa35.htm

http://www.science.org.au/nova/052/052key.htm

If you have a credible source that gives a different result, post it

Attachments

• BAC.JPG
    BAC.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 56
I have had a drink before a dive but I have never dove drunk. However I will attach a shot glass to my first stage so all y'all prohibitionists will recognize me and can avoid diving anywhere in the same ocean as I am.

Hey Waynne,

Okay, I got it. Went over my head.

And I'd had no alcohol or caffeine ; )

Regards,

DocVikingo

LOL! Touche' Doc! Thanks for the first chuckle of the day!!!

I find it a sorry state of affairs that one need attach such disclaimers.
Such is the world we live in though... 'Sigh'

Thanks for the laugh! It was the perfect medicine.

Really? That's your idea of a credible reference? Try one that actually works, or that isn't on a page linking you to DUI lawyers.

R U Pissed? - Online Breathalyzer Test and Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) Level Calculator - Hangover Cures

Or better yet, do the math yourself. I mentioned in an earlier post the rate at which the mythical 'average' person matabolises alcohol

Alcohol Metabolism

Alcohol and cars-Key text

If you have a credible source that gives a different result, post it

Hey Tortuga:

I've seen a number of your posts. You're a physician, right?

No, I am not. I sometimes put the caveat that I am not a doctor in posts related to medical topics; however in this case, one doesn't need to be a doctor to understand the metabolisation rate of alcohol over time by the human body - it's well documented

Back
Top Bottom