Drowning: A peaceful way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occrider

Contributor
Reaction score
So I was reading an undercurrent article that made mention of an incident where a diver committed suicide by stabbing himself in the chest so he wouldn't drown. The article then goes on to say that drowning is in fact a peaceful way to go. Naturally this goes against everything else I've read on the subject, and I was wondering if there was actually research into this that would substantiate Undercurrent's claim. The google, she helps me not.

occrider:
So I was reading an undercurrent article that made mention of an incident where a diver committed suicide by stabbing himself in the chest so he wouldn't drown. The article then goes on to say that drowning is in fact a peaceful way to go. Naturally this goes against everything else I've read on the subject, and I was wondering if there was actually research into this that would substantiate Undercurrent's claim. The google, she helps me not.

Here is my thought on this topic. It won't matter when your dead. Not much does. These are only simple concerns for the living. :wink:

From what I've heard once your body is done coughing and gagging on the water and your lungs are completely filled up with water you simply pass out from lack of O2 shortly after. Of course I'm not going to go out and verify this for anyone but if anyone else would like to and you happen to survive please let us know!

Nitrogen narcosis, then drowning, yes. Just plain old drowning not much better than suffocating. If you are drowning, dive deeper (if you can't get out of course).

"Stabbing himself in the chest"?

Good lord!

The only peaceful way to go, by the way, is in your sleep.

Sasquatch:
"Stabbing himself in the chest"?

Good lord!

The only peaceful way to go, by the way, is in your sleep.
This person probably watched too many action flicks, lol.:D I detect a serious tendency towards the dramatic in this one, or perhaps a control freak.

In my lifeguarding course they told us that, after not being to come up for air, you would either have a terminal gasp, in which youd inhale water, or that your throat would get some water in it, and freeze up ( I don't have the exact word for that right now). Either way, once the initial struggle happened, the body just sorta accepted that it was dieing, and apparently it was quite peaceful. If you are rescued and revived at this point though, you have a high chance of having a secondary drowning later on, when your lungs fill up with liquid of their own. Though for most painless awake death, I would say hypothermia for me. Been almost there, thought I was fine at the time, but the recovery is a pain.

I've also heard that drowning is a peaceful way to go. I'm not sure how that is though, considering the fear aspect of what is about to happen and then there is the coughing and gagging, ... Maybe the peaceful aspect assumes the victim holds their breath until they pass out and then they may not suffer through the actual drowning.??

Back
Top Bottom