Drug War Hits Roatan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have been living in Camp Bay, Roatan for over 4 years. i can tell you its very quite on our end of the island. the recent posting that tells people to stay away is blown out of proportion. the story of the drug war is this; a panga with many kilos on its way to the USA was highjacked a couple of weeks ago. the drug cartel, not taking it lightly investigated and found out who had their shippment and hit them hard and got there stuff back. a small community in Diamond Rock and another in Punta Gorda. so far many of the people involved are dead or missing. three from the West End and Sandy Bay area and a few from English town. most of their shippment has been recovered and the only people hurt were the ones involved in the hiest or family helping them. Camp Bay still is listed as safe despite the rumors.
jimmyroatan

You know it is interesting reading, but it'd be nice to know how this ended.

I could be mistaken but I believe the drug dealers, thieves and users involved got together one afternoon for tea and crumpets but then there was a power outage and also a storm looming way off in the distance and then it rained and the sky started falling and they all forgot there was even a problem and it all went away. Because it had very little effect or affect, I can never get the two right, on day to day Island life or tourism there was just never much follow up BUT, the sky stopped falling and power came on (for a while at least )

Then- came the Earthquake... and the Coup.

Same effect on the islands and their visitors.

But, at least we've both made a lifelong fan because of this thread.

:D RTB

manuele, welcome to Scubaboard, and Internet forums in general.....where no story is ever finished, and most of them are interesting nonetheless - at least for the first page or two...if you come to threads like this that are several months old....you can bet there is no ending. You should pass them by.

Kind of old news.
Kinda non-news really, but if it's his first time across this thread and in his home country - I can see him wondering. The world war on drugs is more of a philosophy perhaps? Only fools think they can win I think.

It's a discussion board, and not facilitated by leaders by design and the owner does not want to close old threads it seems from asking. Sometimes we discuss silliness, i.e. electricity in our lives, passing atmospheric phenomena, cosmic failures, and whatever else someone wants to ask opinions about or just bring up, whether approved subjects or not. :eyebrow:

Quiet on the East! months later and we still didn't see any problems in Camp Bay, no heads floating on the beach, as one rumors said. the total count of people dead is unknown, since many bodies were never found. most people involved were caught and made a lesson of for everyone. last count was 8 dead or missing from Coxen Hole to West Bay, a few of them foreigners trying to get in on the action and make a easy buck. a couple were found in La Ceiba and taught their lesson. the last one to bight it was around French Harbor and several more from Oakridge to Punta Gorda and Diamond Rock. investigators were sent out by the cartel to find out who stole it and who they sold it to. a few did get stopped on the road by there patrols, but if you weren't on their naughty list they let you continue on your way.
the lesson is not to take what is not yours!
many tourist are making it to Camp Bay and had there best day since on the island. most crime happens on the west side, since that is where most of the tourism stays. Camp Bay has the largest stretch of beach and the coral is the best shape. the Mangrove Forest tour is a great way to see nature and the rest of the islands and no problems have ever been reported. so get out of your resort and see what this island paradise has to offer.

I remain unsure what to make of this. It might be an isolated incident, but it might be the proverbial tip of the iceberg. To make it sound like justice was done is sick, IMO. Whenever these sort of discussions come up, someone will say, but there is crime at home. On a percentage basis 8 dead on Roatan would be like 800 dead in Houston. If that happened here, you would hear about it for a long time. To say that it was nothing stretches credibility. To say that it is not safe to go to Roatan, may be an exaggeration as well. My usual advice is unchanged. Stay with the AI's that have been popular with Scubaboard members like FIBR and Coco View. Stay away from the towns and do not try to get to know the foreigners that live there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom