Dry gloves and latex sleeves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay, I've a bit of a problem. Using DCS and Si Tech dry gloves the suit side ring ends up on the narrowest part my latex cuffs. When I go to put my hand through I get hung up because my hand is too wide. I've tried talc, but no other lubricants.

My hands are getting cold on the early spring dives here where the water is the low 40's. Adding core insullation helps, the extra heat inside seems to let the blood flow to the hands and keep them from getting too cold.

The one time I did get my dry gloves on the warmth and comfort was fantastic. I'd really like to use dry gloves. The way I see it I have a few options

1. Find another lubricant probably liquid. I'm not real crazy about this idea because of the mess.
  2. Find a different glove that will work. I've got doubts about this one, the Si Tech is supposed to be the biggest ring out there.
  3. Go with pull over gloves that have a latex seal.
  4. Trim the latex cuffs and trust the dry gloves not to leak or worse fail.
The last item I have to admit has the least hassle and most comfort. The dry suit would slide on nice and easy, the DCS gloves go on easy too. There are a few down sides of course, a leak in glove or cuff comes to mind. I would need to get some cuffs and another ring when I don't need gloves. Last, it hasn't happened yet but there may come a time when I need to take my gloves off, that's something I dont' even want to consider.

Does anyone dive without cuffs inside the dry gloves or have any other ideas.

You may want to check out the DUI Zip Glove set up. When not using the zip gloves you can "zip" on a set of wrist seals for use with wet gloves, or no gloves. They connection part seems to be pretty large, so they may work with bigger hands. Just a thought.

Okay, I've a bit of a problem. Using DCS and Si Tech dry gloves the suit side ring ends up on the narrowest part my latex cuffs. When I go to put my hand through I get hung up because my hand is too wide. I've tried talc, but no other lubricants.

I can't quite picture the SI TECH suit side ring (docking ring) needing to be mounted on the "narrowest" part of the latex cuff. The narrowest part is the wrist seal area itself, right?

Can you describe better where your hand gets hung up?

If you're able to squeeze through the ring, I'm having trouble picturing how the latex seal would cause a further problem.

Can you clarify?

Dave C

When the ring of either the Si Tech or the DCS is attached to the latex cuffs, it needs to be positioned so that the ring and the cuff are about the same diameter so you don't get any folds in the cuff which would likely cause a leak. The way my cuffs are on my dry suit, the connection of the latex to the suit sleave is quite a bit larger diameter than the ring so I have to slide them down closer to where the cuff narrows to the opening for my wrist.

The cuff at the opening has to stretch quite a bit to get my hands though, normally without the rings that's not much of an issue. With the ring, the ring and the cuff are tight enough that I can't force my hand through the cuff. This is less of an issue with the Si Tech because they are about 1/4 inch larger diameter. The Si Tech has a similar problem with getting my hand into the glove because of the way the Si Tech gloves work and a smaller glove ring.

I hope that explains it.

You may want to check out the DUI Zip Glove set up. When not using the zip gloves you can "zip" on a set of wrist seals for use with wet gloves, or no gloves. They connection part seems to be pretty large, so they may work with bigger hands. Just a thought.

At 6'5" with large hands, I second the DUI Zip arrangement. I haven't made the plunge for $150-200 for the gloves just yet, but the zip seals fit my hands just fine. I am going to try the Dry 5 gloves soon. That set up has a latex seal on the glove which goes over the wrist seal of the suit. You put a piece of tubing or something else similar in the seal for the suit so the glove can equalize with the suit. Whatever is used in the suit seal should be able to be grasped through the suit in case of a leaky glove.
Tha's how it's supposed to work. I will let you know:D

When the ring of either the Si Tech or the DCS is attached to the latex cuffs, it needs to be positioned so that the ring and the cuff are about the same diameter so you don't get any folds in the cuff which would likely cause a leak. The way my cuffs are on my dry suit, the connection of the latex to the suit sleave is quite a bit larger diameter than the ring so I have to slide them down closer to where the cuff narrows to the opening for my wrist.

The cuff at the opening has to stretch quite a bit to get my hands though, normally without the rings that's not much of an issue. With the ring, the ring and the cuff are tight enough that I can't force my hand through the cuff. This is less of an issue with the Si Tech because they are about 1/4 inch larger diameter. The Si Tech has a similar problem with getting my hand into the glove because of the way the Si Tech gloves work and a smaller glove ring.

I hope that explains it.

Thanks for the clarification.

How about the following simple do-it-yourself device to support the docking ring during donning:

Take a piece of 6" PVC sewer pipe (or a 5" pipe, if you can find one) about 12" long and glue a flange of PVC inside it to support the lip of the 4.250" diameter docking ring lip.

You could make the flange out of multiple layers of this same sewer pipe, just by cutting rings from the pipe and cutting a small section out of each ring to allow it to assume a smaller diameter. Then glue in place the number of rings needed to create the right sized flange.

Once completed, with the end of this device against a firm surface, you would be able to put your well-powdered hand into the docking ring, then into the pipe bringing the docking ring up against the flange, then shove your hand slowly through the wrist seal.

This "donning tube" could also support the glove ring while you shove your hand through to don the glove.

How's that sound? :D

Dave C

At 6'5" with large hands, I second the DUI Zip arrangement. I haven't made the plunge for $150-200 for the gloves just yet, but the zip seals fit my hands just fine. I am going to try the Dry 5 gloves soon. That set up has a latex seal on the glove which goes over the wrist seal of the suit. You put a piece of tubing or something else similar in the seal for the suit so the glove can equalize with the suit. Whatever is used in the suit seal should be able to be grasped through the suit in case of a leaky glove.
Tha's how it's supposed to work. I will let you know:D

Will DUI sell the ZIP for suits other than DUI? I got the impression it was for DUI only.

stop being such a BABY bob and just keep your hands above water while diving, or dive warmer water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom