Dry Suit Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using bees wax for the zip before, but the Ivory seems to make the zipper actually glide more smoothly and with less pulling effort. Another benefit is that some of the soap gets inside the suit and helps with that 'musty' smell...

The corn starch doesn't work very well if you're sweating much...for warm weather dives, I switch to soapy water in a spray bottle or KY jelly.

Ken and Simon:

thanks... contact info on Janice?

H2Andy:
Ken and Simon:

thanks... contact info on Janice?
PM

H2Andy:
i was thinking of getting the 300 jumpsuit for summer diving here in Florida.

would this be a waste of money? i already have the Diving Concepts Thinsulate Extreme, but i'm afraid it might be way too hot in summer

Andy, in the Summer we tend to wear long sleeved T-shirts (usually some form of cool max) and bicycle leggings. That's it. Mostly it's something to wick away moisture & keep you from getting suit hickeys.

Just my $0.02's worth,

SubMariner:
Andy, in the Summer we tend to wear long sleeved T-shirts (usually some form of cool max) and bicycle leggings. That's it. Mostly it's something to wick away moisture & keep you from getting suit hickeys.

Just my $0.02's worth,
But what temp are you in UW? Its 72F year round in many places where Andy is (and i am) thinking of diving, so its really the surface air temp that is the issue in FL. If i were diving in the 80F+ ocean during the summer (and up to 90F in some places) its all about thin wetsuits/skins. I could see either of us (and i have more "extra insulation" than Andy) getting cold diving a t-shirt (wicking layer) alone in the springs, brrr.

yeah, that's our problem.

i can see dying of heat in the air and freezing our butts in the 72 degree water

guess i'll have to play it by ear

Dress for the water temp and time yourself getting into the water. You can sit in the water to reduce the heat stress before the dive for a few minutes

simbrooks:
But what temp are you in UW? Its 72F year round in many places where Andy is (and i am) thinking of diving, so its really the surface air temp that is the issue in FL. If i were diving in the 80F+ ocean during the summer (and up to 90F in some places) its all about thin wetsuits/skins. I could see either of us (and i have more "extra insulation" than Andy) getting cold diving a t-shirt (wicking layer) alone in the springs, brrr.

Hey, kiddo.. I'm diving down here too, y'know. :wink:

Yes, it's the WATER temp that makes the difference. If I'm in the Springs (the year round 72F you reference) then I typically wear a long sleeved hiking/biking "wicking" shirt under a sweatshirt, a pair of lined bicycle leggings and some thick socks to take up the space in the attached CF200 "sock" in my DUI 350TLS. Pearce usually just opts for the leggings & the long sleeved shirt because his cold tolerance is higher than mine.

In the Gulf when the water is not quite warm enough for hypothermic me, I will go with a single long sleeved shirt, and non-lined bike leggings. Again, the issue is suit hickeys and wicking away sweat under the drysuit.

Basically, I'm just trying to point out that you can layer with garments that are not that expensive; they just need to be made from the right materials.

Pax,

If You have the front zipper, turn Your head to the right before You pull it over Your head. This will save the nose some scraping.
Consider the wax Your using on the zipper. If You are around a sandy beach then use NON sticky wax. Parafin will work, IF You are diving from a clean boat and lots of dives I'll use a sticky wax, in order for the wax to stay on longer. Sand around the Sticky wax will make things much worse than No wax at all.........Bill

hey i am thinking about going dry any thoughts pros/cons classes if i should take them or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom