dry suit neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I missing something. I never knew that stretching the neck seal of neoprene did anything? I know you should stretch your latex over the end of a tank and then after a couple of days trim it to size. Neoprene tuck seals I have never been intrusted to stretch. Worst case would be to have it replaced to your neck size which is a better idea.

Did you buy this suit new ? If so did the LDS not say anything about the seals to you.
Derek

Sylvain:
I have a problem with my dry suit neck seal it is too tight I tried the coffee can trick to streach the seal I left the can on for 3 months, but if I leave it for a few days it gets back to its original size and once again the face turns red.

Does anybody have any othe ideals on how to solve this problem???

I am looking for a solution that would not involve replacing the seal completely.

The neck seal sounds like it's to small for you. You can keep on trying to stretch it, over a tank is usually the best way, but if it's to small you should replace it. Seriously you should take it back to where ever you bought the thing and tell them that you want them to replace it, especially if you had it built for you. If you didn't have it built for you the shop shouldn't have sold it to you like that. And god forbid you bought it some where else, then you'll have to fork the money out of your pocket, and call it a lesson learnt. Deal with people that know what they are about, and usually that means dealing with a LDS.

wolf eel:
Am I missing something. I never knew that stretching the neck seal of neoprene did anything? I know you should stretch your latex over the end of a tank and then after a couple of days trim it to size. Neoprene tuck seals I have never been intrusted to stretch.

OK...I'm confused. In the documentation I received with my dry suit (latex seals) it says that latex seals are used because they don't have a memory (you can strech them and they always go back to their original size) so you cut it to size it. Neprene has a memory so you need to stretch it to size it.

Now the confusion is that your the third person I've heard say this. Is my documentation wrong?? I specifically bought latex seals because I didn't want the seals stretching over time.

Anyone have a difinitive answer? :arrow:

[Woden OK...I'm confused. In the documentation I received with my dry suit (latex seals) it says that latex seals are used because they don't have a memory (you can strech them and they always go back to their original size) so you cut it to size it. Neprene has a memory so you need to stretch it to size it.

Now the confusion is that your the third person I've heard say this. Is my documentation wrong?? I specifically bought latex seals because I didn't want the seals stretching over time.

Anyone have a difinitive answer? :arrow]

I think you can take a latex seal and stretch it over a tank for a day or two then trim it as it will strecth a bit. The neoprene I never have been told to strecth it over anything ? As you can stretch it but it should be made to fit ! Plus they have a clued cut on the back so you would be pulling on the seam.

As for the latex seals strecthing to the point of not being any good thats not going to happen. The strecth of the latex is more to lossen then to strecth the material. So I would say you are GTG.
Cheers
Derek

Latex will not stretch out unless you left it there for years.

Get the seals trimmed down, which will make them larger. Don't attempt this yourself (it ain't rocket science, but there is a trick, and one mis-placed snip can rip it)

You likely wont need your seal replaced - stock suits usually come with the seals intentionally small so that they can be "customed" trimmed to the desired size. I can't believe the store didn't do this for you!!!!!

BTW: Just for credibility, I managed a store for years, and have certified about 500 drysuit divers, sold many suits, trimmed countless seals, replaced countless seals, stretched countless neoprene seals, taken in and taken out countless neck and wrist neoprene seals, this all of course apart from my own 7 suits over the years...Jonnythan is absolutely correct.

guys I think it does stretch a bit.
when I first used my seal after it was replaced, I had a large red line around my neck and the people on the boat thought I was going to pass out.
about 20 dives later it doesn't even leave a mark, and it does feel a bit looser

(Latex, replaced by Tusa in BC, talcked before every dive).

[artw
guys I think it does stretch a bit.
when I first used my seal after it was replaced, I had a large red line around my neck and the people on the boat thought I was going to pass out.
about 20 dives later it doesn't even leave a mark, and it does feel a bit looser

(Latex, replaced by Tusa in BC, talcked before every dive).]
I think it does also. No point in putting it on the tank for a night before trimming.

The stretching of neoprene is bad service the suit was not made correctly for the user. I think All latex seals come as a ring so tight your cats head would have a hard time in it. They are made that way so you can trim to fit ! Out of the last 5 suits latex 1 sits on the floor all the time ! they had to be trimmed. With the tuck suits I never trimmed one. Six of them or more memory gone a bit. Seals are cheap get them to fit.
At the same time. I must say the LDS you bought them from should have asked you to come in the next day to get them trimmed. Did they not mention anything !

Never worked in a store just in the field we eat suits for breakfast.
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom