dry vs. semi-dry snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
My snorkel stays in my gear bag - not out of laziness, or because that's what NAUI or PADI or GUE or anyone else told me to do - but as an informed decision that I've made.

Mine doesn't even make it to the bag unless I'm going tropical and think I might snorkel. I actually had to search for it back in Nov.

And yes, I don't use one for exactly the same reason. And after 5 years, I've never been in a situation where I wished I had it.

Around here, the people I see with them are usually new divers or instructors out with new divers......

IndigoBlue:
That is exactly one more reason why a long hose configuration for open water non-penetration diving is inappropriate and unnecessary.

So lose the long hose, unless you are going into a shipwreck or cave.

but, the long hose is an essential piece of a carefullly planned and tested gear config. I find it highly appropriate for open water, non-penetration decompression dives as well as www rec dives.

I think my snorkel is most useful where it is...in my garage serving as a home to a spider.

IndigoBlue:
So lose the long hose, unless you are going into a shipwreck or cave.

Loose my long hose? We're going to take it to a shipwreck and a cave and Florida and the Red Sea...We're going to take it to Washington and California and Texas; then were going to take it to New York and New Jersey and North Carolina and South Carolina...YEAGH

Some say you don't need a snorkel. You also don't need a seatbelt in the car most of the time. I know a man who was doing ice diving. Suddenly he noticed that his safetyrope had disappeared. So being a calm divemaster and all he cut a hole into the ice with his knife and breathed through the hole with his snorkel until someone noticed air coming from the ice. Luckily he didn't have to spent more that 10 min under the hole.

u never know

If you ever hit the beach with Conch Divers...hide the snorkel.

he cut a hole into the ice with his knife and breathed through the hole with his snorkel until someone noticed air coming from the ice. Luckily he didn't have to spent more that 10 min under the hole.

Either that's an urban legend... or some awfully thin ice that I sure as heck wouldn't want to be walking on. I vote urban legend.

jaak:
Some say you don't need a snorkel. You also don't need a seatbelt in the car most of the time. I know a man who was doing ice diving. Suddenly he noticed that his safetyrope had disappeared. So being a calm divemaster and all he cut a hole into the ice with his knife and breathed through the hole with his snorkel until someone noticed air coming from the ice. Luckily he didn't have to spent more that 10 min under the hole.

u never know

I do have a kickass bridge that you could be the proud new owner of! Interested?

jaak:
...breathed through the hole with his snorkel until someone noticed air coming from the ice.

Snorkels are pretty important in overhead environments...most cavers use them too.

s2kbadger:
I'm thinking of getting a new snorkel and I can't quite understand why there would be both dry and semi-dry snorkels for about the same price. What advantage is there, if any with a semi-dry snorkel over a dry snorkel? If this has already been covered, my apologies, but you can't search for the word dry, because it is too short.

Just buy a regular snorkel (the KISS principle) and learn to use it properly.
There is no need to complicate a snorkel; all it does is make you look like
you've length of pipe attached to your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom