Drysuit choices for Tropical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been pondering whether I should jump into a drysuit for a while.

My normal diving is year round. In the winter the water temps are around the low 70's F (22C) in the summer they peak into 30'sC (90F) Indeed I've experienced 36C at 30m.

Anyway I digress. In the winter I wear my 7mm with 4mm hood - which I detest. While I don't get cold I can sometime feel cool enough not to want to hand around for an hour. Topside on the boat the thought of donning a cold wetsuit for dive 2 doesn't inspire me. I hate the buoyancy shift of the winter suit, struggling to get down of the first dive (but being slightly heavy at the safety stop) and the continual adjustments underwater with depth change (as opposed to my 3mm where everything is lovely and I carry zero weight.

Everyone has a different cold tolerance. While some of us are in 7's some are in 5mm and there are some hardy soles in shorties in the winter! Brrr

Anyhow, there are a small number who dive dry, and I look at them with some envy.

It was RJP's posts on his DUI 30/30 which got me looking around

While I have some ideas of what I think I need (want) I'm happy for some corrections and advice.

So....
1.lightweight tropical suit fully breathable

2. Considering for my insulating layer my new Sharkskin (similar to Lavacore) one piece which I have brought to replace my 3mm

3. No need of Dry gloves nor boots, I like my wet boots (my feet don't get cold nor do my hands in my 3mm normal aqualung gloves

4. No pockets. I have all the storage I need on my wing and dwe get some strong currents so I want to keep as streamlined as possible

5. don't need a pee valve - never get the urge underwater

6. Completely bamboozled with seal types - advise please

7.Good manufacturers please. I've seen that whites is now Aqualung and the suit recommended to me is no longer made. Interested in DUI (trying to get one in the UK or here might be an issue) and Fourth Element - but these might be suited for colder temps.

8.Cost - not really an issue for the right bit of kit but I do want it to last, although most of my diving is reef we do have some wrecks we penetrate so not too fragile

9. What items on a Drysuit are gimmicks and need not be considered - what is essential and what is preferable?

10. Yes I will do a Dry suite course

11. Would prefer to go and get measured and go custom if I can

12. Still want to carry the minimum weight - my 7mm requires 10lbs of lead in trim pockets

My normal gear is a Diverite 35lb wing, Transpac XT harness without plate, 15L 240 bar faber Steel tank.

Although an experienced diver, please treat all replies from the stand point of I know nothing so keep it simple and explain everything :)
For the hot conditions of the Middle East -even in the winter season described above- why not just go with a more economical wetsuit heater instead?

Products · UTD Scuba Diving

Diving in the tropics in a wetsuit is a luxury, but using a drysuit is an unnecessary extravagance especially where you are! Believe me, you don't want the expense & maintenance and relative inconvenience of a drysuit out there in Dubai UAE, even with "winter water temps of 22 deg C". . .

Missed each other by a week or two.

(Posted from the Guam Airport.)
Welcome to Guam(?) Ray! It's the last reliable WiFi & Internet connection you'll get for the next week-and-a-half. :wink:

Have patience waiting for the Truk flight -if you're stuck there at Won Pat Int'l Airport on long layover. . .(Go to the Deep Stops Increases DCS thread before the Mods Clean it up! -I just flipped off AJ :D)

Say hi for me to everyone at the Truk Stop Hotel: Gary -the new Dive-Ops Manager; Cindy Hall -the outgoing Manager; Dive Ops Personnel: Guides Nuwa & Jerson, Gas Blender Teno, Skiff Drivers JR & Kenneth; and the Director of DiveOps in Residence, Corky Stinnett (Daughter of the Owner of Truk Stop Hotel, Bill Stinnett --who I highly recommend introducing yourself & getting to know).

As for your drysuit there in Truk: it is "winter season" there with water & air temperatures in the 27 to 29deg C range, but with an ambient air wind chill 8-12 knots with scattered rain showers --so subtract maybe ten degrees "misery index", especially if you''re gonna do some long deco run times (IOW, now is a good time to utilize a drysuit there in the tropics in this instance). Also, I hope you remembered to bring Aquaseal cement (or spare Zip-seals?) if you tear a latex seal or trilam material on the wrecks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP
Thanks for all the advice. I've just been measured and ordered my Fourth Element Argonaut Kevlar suit. Got my dry suit course thrown in too. No the wife wants one, but she can go buy her own ��

ps envious of Ray in Truk

Reactions: RJP
Thanks for all the advice. I've just been measured and ordered my Fourth Element Argonaut Kevlar suit. Got my dry suit course thrown in too. No the wife wants one, but she can go buy her own ��

ps envious of Ray in Truk
Kevlar is good durable drysuit material, but don't forget a "tear repair" kit of Aquaseal Cement and Duct Tape (& spare neck, wrist seals if you got field-replaceable types like Zip-seals); and a back-up wetsuit for multi-day dive trips in case you lose the drysuit to a major un-repairable flood like a seam delaminating tear or zipper failure. . .

Kevlar is good durable drysuit material, but don't forget a "tear repair" kit of Aquaseal Cement and Duct Tape (& spare neck, wrist seals if you got field-replaceable types like Zip-seals); and a back-up wetsuit for multi-day dive trips in case you lose the drysuit to a major un-repairable flood like a seam delaminating tear or zipper failure. . .

Very good point. I sat down with the LDS (who personally owns one of these suits) and grilled him over the pro's and cons of seals and their replacement etc. When i go away in July I'll certainly take a wet alternative and I know when day diving for the star at least I'll also take a wetsuit just in case. I chose not to have user replaceable seals - my LDS who can do this is a 10min drive away. I already have the other items you suggest in my save a dive box - which is getting increasingly bigger but has saved other peoples dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom