Drysuit + Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just poking at you BP/W guys :D !!! You took the bait. :)

I'm just trying to bring balance to this forum. :popcorn:

:confused: You didn't answer my question. Why is a BP/W considered technical gear to you?

My point was, don't go for the "cool" look, or I'm a real diver - "Pseudo Tec". Many new divers (particularly young guys and "second adolescence" old dudes) can be influenced into thinking they must buy expensive tacky/techie gadgets and equipment. That would be a shame (except for those of us who like to shop garage sales and craigslist :) ).

How is a BP/W an expensive tacky/techie gadget or pseudo tec? That was my question... (Also my BP/W was $400 cheaper than the BI BC I got first!)

I once watched a couple in their beginning class, both decked out in newest expensive drysuits and the finest of regulator sets (w/bcds - I know, that's why you'll say she didn't make it :) ) with the wife ending up in tears because she just didn't like diving. She didn't finish the course. I bet my LDS let her return her gear, but some LDSs would not encourage this refund.

Another time I shook my head watching a beginning class (not my LDS) all decked out in expensive drysuits, BP/W* etc. One guy was so big, he could hardly waddle to the shore. He may be still diving today, but I thought that this was the worst peer pressure (used by the LDS to separate the fool from his money) example I have seen. It was sad - it made me sad. :(

How is a drysuit and a BP/W and expensive regulator sets relevant to the fact people bought too early and inappropriately? Any gear would be inappropriate. I bought a wetsuit, a BC and expensive fins when I first started diving. Now I have a drysuit, a BP/W and cheaper but better fins. The type of equipment one buys is irrelevant, what matters is if it suits the person or not.

However, there are other things to spend money on, if you are perfectly happy with you SP Classic - a canister light, for example.

Don't give me any ideas :wink: I just spent money on divemaster classes, a drysuit is next......I can see my family now rolling their eyes when I mention a canister light lol. Thanks for the response!

I have a back inflate BC and took my drysuit class and dives with it, while I feel that adding a crotch strap to mine would be a good idea (I thought that when diving my wetsuit too) it posed no problems for me, and could hold enough weight for 55f water drysuit dives

I will say that diving in a shell type drysuit in cold water without another form of lift besides the suit is asking for trouble ..., what if you totally flood your suit and have to swim up with 25lbs/30lbs of lead + tank + regs ?

Well this brings up a good question. Maybe I have my terminology screwed up.

The BC's I know of are the following:

Jacket style: Like my classic plus
Rear inflate: Ex. Scubapro Knighthawk
I assume BP/W is like the halcyon BC's
then I've seen weird stuff like the one that is just a plate to hold the tank and no actual flotation..I assume that's just a backplate.

I sometimes consider rear inflates and BP/W almost the same because of where the air is located with respect to your body, but I could be totally wrong here. Anyone care to enlighten me?

it posed no problems for me, and could hold enough weight for 55f water drysuit dives

Maybe I need to go back through my physics, but being a mostly wetsuit diver...this poses another question.

With wetsuits you need the weight at the surface to help counteract the wetsuit buoyancy enough to pull you under. Once you're under though, the increased water pressure crushes the wetsuit material making it less buoyant. I assume you could drop a pound or two if you were 100' underwater and still stay neutral (letting some air out of your BC of course) But as you would ascend with less weight you would tend to shoot the surface as you got closer because the wetsuit would expand and give you more buoyancy and you'd be 2lbs of lead short to be able to stay neutral (ignoring increased tank buoyancy).

When I hear you say that you had enough weight to make it to 55ft, this seems backwards to my wetsuit thinking. Does it actually take more weight as you go deeper with a drysuit and therefore you need to overweight at the surface? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. Again, time for a learning experience :D

55f temp, not 55ft depth .. I was making referance to the fact that my BC (Knighthawk) could hold enough weight to counter the underwear for that temp .. 21lbs lead and a -2lbs when empty steel tank

55f temp, not 55ft depth .. I was making referance to the fact that my BC (Knighthawk) could hold enough weight to counter the underwear for that temp .. 21lbs lead and a -2lbs when empty steel tank

Oh, I'm sorry, didn't catch that. Makes much more sense. I did the DUI demo days last fall and was able to wear the undergarments with 22lbs and had no problem sinking. I can fit 24lbs in my BC. Cutting it close but at least it would get me started. Heck I could probably stick another few lbs in one of the pockets if I had to. That should be enough for anything I'd want to do right now. If I can get down to 55 degrees, That's plenty! Even the Bonne Terra Mines up here are 58 all year around. Thanks D_B for the clarification!

Once again, it all comes down to training with you equipment.
I use a BI BC with my DUI dry suit with no problems. I also require less weight with using the dry suit than my 7mm wet.
I think lots of people go with what they are told is "the best way".
Use as much of your existing equipment as you can.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a DUI drysuit sometime next fall (did the DUI demo days and had a blast!)

However, I currently dive with a Scubapro Classic Plus jacket type BC and I love it very much and am very comfortable with it.

I dive with a DUI TLS 350 and a Scubapro Classic Plus BC. I'm very happy with it. I think the only downside is that getting into and out of the BC is a little more trouble than some other set-ups since the shoulders/arm holes are not adjustable. I don't think this a big deal, but someone else might.

Steve

I dive with a DUI TLS 350 and a Scubapro Classic Plus BC. I'm very happy with it. I think the only downside is that getting into and out of the BC is a little more trouble than some other set-ups since the shoulders/arm holes are not adjustable. I don't think this a big deal, but someone else might.

Steve

That's the exact drysuit I'm looking at getting and my BC. Cool! Just out of curiosity...did you get the standard drysuit or special production where you got to choose your size/colors etc?

That's the exact drysuit I'm looking at getting and my BC. Cool! Just out of curiosity...did you get the standard drysuit or special production where you got to choose your size/colors etc?

I got the signature edition (special production) to get a good fit. My shoulders are a large, the rest of me a medium, and my legs aren't that tall so it fits much better than one off the shelve.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom