Drysuit leaking around neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I picked up a new to me drysuit a while back. I have about 10 dives on it and I'm consistantly damp after each dive. I think it is coming in around my neck from what I can tell.

I feel like, if anything, the neck seal is on the tighter side. I don't think it is too loose, when I got it the seal was uncomfortably tight. It even made me slightly light headed when trying it on so I trimmed it down, but only a little at a time.

I've used a couple drysuits in the past. One I rented during my drysuit class, the other I was testing out to see if I wanted to buy it. Neither one I had a issue with.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on what I can do?

- you could briefly dive the suit in a pool or pond with a cotton tshirt for undergarment, you should be able feel where it's leaking and see on the shirt where it's wet
- Test for leaks. Find some cylindrical objects (like bottles or yogurt tubs) and use them to plug the wrist and neck holes, maybe use a wrap of masking tape to secure them extra well. Inflate the suit fully and use a spray bottle of very soapy water to squirt all suspicious seams and watch for bubbles. Check the neck, around the dump valve, zipper, etc.
- you might need a new better neck seal, which is not a big deal

- you could briefly dive the suit in a pool or pond with only a thin cotton tshirt for undergarment, you should be able feel where it's leaking and see on the shirt where it's wet
- Test for leaks. Find some cylindrical objects (like bottles or yogurt tubs) and use them to plug the wrist and neck holes, maybe use a wrap of masking tape to secure them extra well. Inflate the suit fully and use a spray bottle of very soapy water to squirt all suspicious seams and watch for bubbles. Check the neck, around the dump valve, zipper, etc.
- you might need a new better neck seal, which is not a big deal
I'm pretty confident that it is coming from the neck area.

I'm going to do a leak test tonight, but ultimatly I think I might replace my neck seal. I need quick shipping, does anyone have a recommended seal from amazon?

I tracked down a leak in a drysuit neck seal that turned out to be a small pinhole in the latex seal which was difficult to see but just enough to cause problems.

Is it a latex neck seal? You might try positioning it lower on your neck. I've seen the cords of the neck muscles create leaks when moving the head to certain positions.

Do you suspect the water is leaking around the neck seal along your neck (bad fit) or is leaking through a pinhole/poorly glued seam? It would be hard to know without testing. Pictures of the seal as it is worn on your neck might be useful.

Reactions: L13
I think it's coming in around the neck. Not leaking through the seam or hole. But hard to say. I'll try and grab a photo tonight after my leak test.

I think it's coming in around the neck. Not leaking through the seam or hole. But hard to say. I'll try and grab a photo tonight after my leak test.
Are you damp all over or just down the front?

Are you damp all over or just down the front?

I think mostly the front but it's hard to say exacly. It seems like after 1.5 hours worth of diving (2 to 3 dives) I'm the wetest by my neck and dryer as you go down, but it seems like I'm wetter down my front that back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom