Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what are the chances of getting a boot that comes in big sizes and is wide? There is a new trend in cave country where instead of overboots, guys are using standard wetsuit boots to go over the booties. Helps keep air out of the feet when you're descending head first, but they don't make wide sizes. I got my rofos with the largest overboots they had, but they aren't usable because I can't lace them since my feet are too wide. This is with the neoprene socks from them, and lightweight hiking socks. Even with the overboots and Chuck Taylors, they don't make any wide width sizes past US12. Socks are infinitely better than integrated boots imho, but the lack of usable overboots is tough.

Hmmmm.....So, you don't want an overboot? Pinnacle makes a Canvas boot that is the widest available (that I have seen).
Pinnacle Tecline Rock Boot | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Our Ultimate boot might work for you, it's not superside, but it's wider than the boots that are permanently installed on most suits.

what are the chances of getting a boot that comes in big sizes and is wide? There is a new trend in cave country where instead of overboots, guys are using standard wetsuit boots to go over the booties. Helps keep air out of the feet when you're descending head first, but they don't make wide sizes. I got my rofos with the largest overboots they had, but they aren't usable because I can't lace them since my feet are too wide. This is with the neoprene socks from them, and lightweight hiking socks. Even with the overboots and Chuck Taylors, they don't make any wide width sizes past US12. Socks are infinitely better than integrated boots imho, but the lack of usable overboots is tough.

I will disagree with you here, Tom. I have always preferred an integrated attached boot. I have softsocks on my CF200 and can't stand them. I never liked rock boots or wearing an overshoe. Gaiters keep air out of my boots just fine. And I adjust them to be able to move air in my suit wherever I like.

Oh yeah, DRIS replaced the boots on one of my suits and did a great job. That is, once we found a pair big enough for my Sasquatch feet.

I have a CF200 with rubber soles that I picked up used. One of the soles has become a little loose and is starting to peel off. What would you do and use to fix this before it becomes more of an issue?

Same foot pocket, there is a threaded seam on the outside that goes up the middle of the foot. Near the toe there is a very small amount of white showing like the threads are being worn/pulled. It has never leaked, but would you recommend wet cement or aquaseal to patch it up/protect it?

---------- Post added September 16th, 2015 at 12:39 PM ----------

Also,

#3 How many drysuits do you own and what do you use them for?

1- Use Drysuit glue on the sole:
DRIS Dive Gear Drysuit Glue | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

1 coat on the sole, 1 coat on the suit. Wait 10 minutes, add another. Wait 30 mins, and stick them together. Push together REALLY good and work out any air cavities. Put some weight on it overnight, and you're good.

2- I would use Aquaseal, it's tougher than seal cement for something like that. Both will eventually wear off though. The best bet is to buy some kevlar, and cut it to fit. Then glue it over that area and let it take the abuse. We sell kevlar, but it's expensive and not online. You would be looking at $60 in kevlar to do that small of a repair. It's expensive, but in the grand scheme of your suit, it's really cheap.

3- I currently have 5.
-- Neoprene for cold water - Seasoft with custom pockets
-- Lightweight Breathable for travel or hot days and easy dives on our boats - Rofos Breathable
-- Kevlar Breathable for hot days and rougher dives that the suit will take abuse during the dive - Ursuit Breathable
-- Midweight for the Majority of the Dives I do - Santi E. Motion
-- Fusion - Now been put as a back up on any of the above as it always works, and is simple to dive and I trust it as I've had it for 6 years.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2015 at 11:19 AM ----------

Oh yeah, DRIS replaced the boots on one of my suits and did a great job. That is, once we found a pair big enough for my Sasquatch feet.

Sasquatch feet is an understatement. We had to glue 8x4 plywood to your foot area and seal it up :)

I quite like my Fusion Tech. However, the issue of the pocket flaps is generally known and acknowledged. It is very difficult to feel them in gloves. To open and to close the pockets is a problem, especially for sidemount divers. Has anyone succeeded to solve this problem?

I quite like my Fusion Tech. However, the issue of the pocket flaps is generally known and acknowledged. It is very difficult to feel them in gloves. To open and to close the pockets is a problem, especially for sidemount divers. Has anyone succeeded to solve this problem?

Take some 2" Webbing, roll it like a cigar, and have it stitched to the pocket flap. This will give you something sturdy to grab, wider than just the neoprene, and heavy to somewhat self close :wink:

Take some 2" Webbing, roll it like a cigar, and have it stitched to the pocket flap. This will give you something sturdy to grab, wider than just the neoprene, and heavy to somewhat self close :wink:

First I just made. Second pic is what Aqualung(formerly Whites) is doing on new Bullet suits to fix the issue. Hope that helps with the idea...
unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg

Thanks! I was wondering what material could I use for that. Webbing, rolled as a cigar is a good idea.

I've got a request.

Can you make a jig for gluing drysuit wrist seals at home? I've found the hardest part is the setup, setting up so the wrist of the suit is fully in tension. Something like a stepped cone so that the suit wrist is fully filled, and once the seal is rolled on, a good surface to secure it with bands to keep pressure on it. Finding the right size jar is a pain. I can only imagine if you have a family of drysuit divers, it would be a huge benefit having some sort of jig, and not everyone can send their suits in, especially if you're changing several at once. I figure you could find something that would work for 99% of drysuit cuffs, and it would be a boon for someone diving dry on a liveaboard, only risking one day of diving at most instead of a whole trip.

(Yeah, the real answer is get a ring system, but someone people don't like them or their hands are too big, etc.)

I've had the USIA ultimate boot on previous suits, and have tried the pinnacle boot with no success. Will keep hunting...

Could always try a pair of GI issue jungle boots. You can get them super cheap from a surplus store and they make them in whatever size you need. You'd just wear neoprene booties underneath. Not exactly what you want, but an option at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom