Drysuit Squeeze?? Or is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a brand new DUI TLS350, custom made to my measurements.

As part of the deal, the shop owner is going to give me the whole Drysuit class, but in the meantime, I decided to give it a try in the pool.

I noticed that the suit was very restrictive and if I added air, it either goes to my feet if I am horizontal or into my shoulders if I am vertical and I cannot seem to get comfortable as far as not feeling restricted. I cinched up the rockboots tighter and it helped the feet situation. I did not really find trim an issue, it just felt very restrictive (worse than my wetsuit). In fact horizontal was the most comfortable position, albeit with a bit of floaty feet going on.

Is a drysuit supposed to feel this tight all the time? If not, I guess the LDS owner/instructor and I will have to sort it out.

Thanks!

The most comfortable position will always be horizontal. In any other attitude, the air bubble will shift around in the suit and squeeze the lower part while pulling a "michelin man" on the upper part.

Make sure your weighting is dead on to allow you to reduce the amount of air you need to keep in the suit.

It will FEEL more restrictive than the wetsuit, but if it is fitted properly, it should not actually restrict your movements.
I just took delivery of a new TLS350 Cave Cut... that's the custom cut where they make you sign your life away.
It's about as snug as it can be, but I can still reach my valves.

http://www.linkline.com/personal/rlockyer/newTLS350.jpg

There's a difference in "feeling" restricted and "being" restricted. Can you exercise a full range of motion in the suit before you get in the water? If not, it's the wrong size.
Rick

I just ordered a pair of Halcyon Gators to help with the floaty feet feeling that I get when I'm horizontal in water. I have pretty good trim, I just don't like the floaty feet feeling. It conjures up images in my head of a runaway feet first ascent, even though there's not much air in the suit. Just an issue that I have.

Mel

Rick Murchison:
There's a difference in "feeling" restricted and "being" restricted. Can you exercise a full range of motion in the suit before you get in the water? If not, it's the wrong size.
Rick

Fits great out of the water, no restriction of movement with either the suit or the undies. I can reach all the valves in the water no problem. Keeping my knees straight while kicking is tough due to a small amount of air getting into my feet.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like I just need to get used to the feeling.

-David

I like that feeling. It's like I am a big bag of ground coffee when I open the zipper and the air rushes in. :D

dazedone:
Fits great out of the water, no restriction of movement with either the suit or the undies. I can reach all the valves in the water no problem. Keeping my knees straight while kicking is tough due to a small amount of air getting into my feet.

If you do not put enough air in the suit to prevent squeeze, then you will definitely feel restricted. Can lead to some nasty suite hickeys as well.

Meanwhile, I find the Rock Boots, when properly laced up, will basically act as gators & keep the air from migrating to your feet.

IOW, when your Instructor shows you how to use the suit safely & effectively, you will find that most of these "problems" will disappear.

BTW, congrats on the suit. Both Pearce & I have had ours for years & love 'em! :thumb:

I would rather have a tight rather than loose fit (assuming that you can still reach for your valves).

I have a Whites Nexus. Compared to the TLS350, the Nexus is a cut a bit more generous. Unfortunately, this means that air bubbles can grow a bit larger before the suit will self-vent.

I guess that it is a issue of technique. I have buddies in vulcanized drysuits, so their drysuits are almost like large weather balloons. You would think that this would lead to more buoyancy problems. However, their trim and buoyancy is usually very good, so I assume my issues are technique related.

SueMermaid:
I like that feeling. It's like I am a big bag of ground coffee when I open the zipper and the air rushes in. :D
Geeze ... you're wierd! :wink: (in a nice entertaining sort of way though)

Getting back on topic; it's a new feeling you'll get used to.
Just think of it being a friendly hug from your suit. It LIKES you! :D

melfox26:
I just ordered a pair of Halcyon Gators to help with the floaty feet feeling that I get when I'm horizontal in water.
Don't expect them to be a cure-all. They will help, but in my experience, they only served to slow the progress of air moving into the feet (and likewise, exiting the feet when they were low). Your booties will still get air in them, but they will help reduce what's getting into your calf area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom