DS leak repair is $250!! Other options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was a custom, why are you having to pay to get it resized? If you took the measurements, then maybe you personally would be responsible, but most of us manufacturers will at least cut you a deal. $250.00 sounds a bit high.

Rick Inman:
DS leak repair is $250!! Other options?
I have this occasional leak with my drysuit. If I bend forward, because the suit is slightly too short for me, the forward bend pulls the latex neck seal away from the back of my neck and I get a leak.
If I fix the leak will you split the $250 with me? Don't bend forward!:D Sorry I couldn't resist. good luck

USIA:
If it was a custom, why are you having to pay to get it resized? If you took the measurements, then maybe you personally would be responsible, but most of us manufacturers will at least cut you a deal. $250.00 sounds a bit high.
I'm a three hour drive from the LDS dealer, so I took the measurements based on an instruction video that was emailed to me. It's been over a year.

Yeah, I am disappointed that they didn't offer to cut me a break.

A viable alternative may be to try adding to the length of your present seal , by using (only) the upper portion of another latex seal ( ideally, a cone-type ) that would be glued to the upper portion of your present one . If it didn't work well, you could always remove the "extension".

dannobee:
There are a couple of different styles of latex neck seals out there. I think OS systems has them, among others.

If you want to try a bioseal, I've got one laying around somewhere. You're welcome to try it. I don't use it.

Dan
Well, Dan sent me the Bio-Seal, and I have 3 dives with it.

Thank you, Dan. It worked!!

The first two dives, I still had leaks. But it was operator error. I had the Bio-Seal up on my neck and the neck seal laying 1/2 up it, and on both dives, by the end of the dive, the seal had slipped out. Last night I moved the bio seal down low on my neck and lined up the top of both seals, and it worked perfectly. Dry as a bone!

And, yes, the Bio-Seal is VERY comfortable.

Thanks again, Dan.

Try a piece of fabric elastic with velcro on each end and sinch it (not too tightly) around the top of the seal...work like a charm

doctordry:
Try a piece of fabric elastic with velcro on each end and sinch it (not too tightly) around the top of the seal...work like a charm
Thanks, Doc Dry.

dannobee:
Sorry for getting back to this thread so late, but I'm glad it worked!

When are you coming back to Monterey/Carmel? :eyebrow:
Oh, man... that last trip was my favorite dive trip ever. I dream about coming back. When those two points of excess time and excess money line up, I'll be there. :D

But I really do need to buy that booster first...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom