DSLR - Nikon vs. Canon Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting comment regarding the "Nikon lenses are better" than the Canon:
For lenses many Nikon shooters seem to like: Tokina 10-17mm for WA, the Sigma 17-70mm for general shooting....

I'd be very curious to see if anyone could identify a picture taken in a Canon, Oly or Nikon just by looking at the image.

It's a coin-toss between Nikon and Canon these days. There are things
one does better than the other, so it's function of what features are important
to you.

Canon has changed their lens mount twice, but they are unlikely to do it
again. The original breech-lock mount had some problems (I forget the
details), then their first generation bayonet mount was too small for some
of the lenses they wanted to build, so they came out with the EOS mount,
where they seem to have got it right. Nikong got it right the first time.

Both Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras and lenses, you really can't go wrong with either one. Every couple of years one will move slightly ahead of the other in features.

Searcaigh, curious why you would choose the D90 over the D7000? Even most experts are putting it above the D300.

Hi MJH,

I have not had a good look at the D7000 yet, but one of my good friends who changes cameras frequently did comment to me last Friday night over a few drinks that he did not think that the D7000 was that brilliant. I do know that he is trying to find an excuse to his wife to move on to a D700 though.

Ahhh, the D7000 vs. D700, sort of apples/oranges as one is a crop sensor and the other full frame. If he is waiting might as well wait some more as the D700 replacement should be out in 2011.

I still have a lot of non-DX lenses, and would not mind going that route too, so what are the rumours about a D800?

Reality is both brands are excellent. No offense but we photographers tend to be the limiting factor, lol. As mentioned Nikon has been "known" for their lenses and Canon for more bodies. You can't go wrong with either.

What you have to ask yourself is do you shoot more land or underwater shots? Many things important to dryland photogs are of less importance underwater, frames per seconds, ergonomics, weight, etc.... Now throw into that how important is shooting HD video to you? Given your budget you are looking at a "prosumer" (sp) body. Pro bodies are three to five times your budget.

Right now the Nikon the D7000 is in your budget and a lot of camera for the money. I just bought one to replace my D200. But like all tech something "better" is always coming out.

For lenses many Nikon shooters seem to like: Tokina 10-17mm for WA, the Sigma 17-70mm for general shooting, the Nikon 60mm & 105mm for macro. Of course there are many other great lenses with their advocates.

Strobes like Sea & Sea, Inon, and Ikelite are tried and true. Again really can't go wrong with any of them. IMHO buy the most powerful strobes you can afford.

I agree with MJH.

For your $1600 budget Simply get the Canon 7D and the Nikon D7000 next to each other and see what feels better to you and compare each of the features of both Cameras.

Regarding going FX like the Nikon D700 and also the Canon 5DmkII you will be stepping into the world which your lenses start costs alot more and might be having trouble fitting into housings such as Ikelite. I know a few pro's are going back to DX as the Dx lenses available provide excellent results for their price.

Regards Mark

Back
Top Bottom